Im Having A Complete Nightmare

johno

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
OK! SO! I orderd a new filter last week because my current crappy one is slowly dying, and is not exactly suitible for my needs. (unkown probly chinese make)
During a water change i decided i would give the media a VERY SOFT swirl to help with the reduced flow. Put it back in the tank, then seen a bacteria bloom (Oh my days, mini cycle?)

And the new filter still hasnt turned up! I did an ammonia test alittle bit later and it read around 0.25ppm. So, the panic started! grabbing buckets, etc..

The tank has been running smoothly for months, slightly over stocked, wich is why i was getting a better filter! So i put it down to the crappy filter and the stocking level, as i ruled out over feeding and anything dead/rotting.

BUT it gets better, my friend has been slowly getting rid of everything in his tank, and he was left with a BN plec that he couldnt find a home for, so he was gonna 'THROW IT OUT FOR THE BIRDS'
So me being the idiot that i am "u cant do that! ill take it then" knowing full well that my tank wasnt gonna be able to handle it! :crazy:

Ive been doing waterchanges since i got the 0.25ppm reading the other day, and did a 60% ish before i added the (not so rescued plec) and woke up this morning, first thing i done was tests. 2PPM AMMONIA :shout:

SO! im basicly going to be doing daily waterchanges on a filter that is cycling and probly wont ever catch up and waiting for a new one in the post.
So how am i going to transfer any media from the current filter to the new one if its not esablished properly?! :S

I know im an idiot for taking the plec, but im too soft :blush:
I dont have another tank set up yet, wich i was planning on putting most of my current fish into, including the plec.

Thanks for reading :(

Edit forgot to add info:
20g tank
4 neon tetra
5 x ray tetra
red flame gourami
BN plec

You could run both filters at the same time?

Also, while you're waiting for your new filter to arrive, there's a thread HERE showing how to make a simple sponge filter yourself ( good diagram on page 5 as the pics are a little confusing ) . Just use the biggest fish food pot you can find as the cannister so you have space for as much media as possible.

You can add more than one to overfilter until your new one arrives. Which is probably best if you're slightly over stocked.

Most reactions

Back