I'm going to sound really stupid, but...

I haven't kept them but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I don't think it would hurt either.

Hi Acrobit :)

African Clawed Frogs have neither teeth or tongues. When they eat, they swallow their prey whole, they do not chew them or bite off pieces.

If one were to grab your finger while you were feeding them or cleaning their tank, it should not hurt. :D

Inchworm said:
African Clawed Frogs have neither teeth or tongues. When they eat, they swallow their prey whole, they do not chew them or bite off pieces.
And, like all frogs, their throats have no swallowing muscles, so they blink as they eat and the backs of their eyeballs project into their throats to push the food down!

Marvelous.

ive been nipped by mine,(see photo by member name) it makes you jump but as the others said they haven't got teeth so it doesn't hurt.

some tips though:

they love frozen blood worm, i feed mine by putting 1/2 a bloodworm ice cube in a small tub and using a turkey baster mix with some tank water to thaw.. suck them up with the baster and place infront of the frogs. after they eat one they'll go mad and swim about like madmen looking for more. be carefull though, if you feed them too much they'll have liver faliure, blow up like a purple baloon and die... yes i did learn the hard way. 10-15 worms per baby frog (about 1 inch long) once a week.

also they shed their skin, don't be surprised if you see transparent layers of skin coming off every 6-8 weeks. and sorry to say yes they do eat it, gross...

mine are in a community tank as they are quite small still but beware when they grow they'll start eating fish.

great pets though :cool:

He is 1 1/2 - 2 inches long at the moment. Thanks for the info, jimbooo.

How much should I feed him every day? I fed him an earthworm yesterday and put two mealworms in the water today (he ate both) but I don't know exactly how much I should be feeding him daily.

put it this way if he gets a big bloated belly it's too much.

are they in with other fish?? if they are be carefull a 2 inch ACF could swallow a guppy whole, i've never fed earthworms only frozen bloodworm. they love 'em i think mine is too small to eat an earthworm and i'm really worried about over feeding after what happened to my first one.

Another food that the frogs like is feeder guppies. Just put them in the tank and your frog will help himself. :D

I have 2 ADFs and 5 ACFs. :nod:

I really enjoy watching them and feeding them shrimp pellets. If you hold it over their heads and drop them into the water, as they sink the ACFs will jump up and grab them. The trick is to get them to fall within their limited field of vision. :D

Most reactions

Back