Im A Bit Stuck For Ideas

joshjames

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 21, 2008
Messages
480
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
GB
fillled up my 300 litre 75 gallon and so far have in it
2 clown loaches
7 cardinal tetra
4 black neon tetra
4 harlequin rasbora
4 platys
im stuck for ideas on what else to add
i was thinking along the lines of a blue acara
more clown loaches
but i want some thing to brighten up the tank
a fish which people will look at and think wow that is nice not to aggresive fairly big maybe
plz help me out guys
 
increase your black neon shoal to 20 and do the sam with the cardinals and rasboras, that will certainly britain up your tank creating large shoals, i wouldnt add more clown loaches they do get a little big (how ironic does that phrase sound :rolleyes:)

i wouldnt really add a blue acara could end up eating something small.
 
I agree that you should increase the numbers of your colourful shoaling fish, I also agree no more clowns and no blue acara due to size and aggression [in that order!]

Are your platy mixed sex?

Gentle and beautiful fish would include rainbow fish, congo tetra, gourami [some can be chasers], hatchet fish, bolivian rams, long finned danios and rosy barbs.
 
i would get rid of the platies or get them their own tank, increase the size of the shoals to about 15-20, and get some gouramis, or kribensis. r kribensis aggressive? i kno they r when theyre mating, but just normally r they? Oh yea, i agree w/ Mel, too.
 
the platys are one male 3 females but they have no where else to go so... why are they a problem?
people say that clown loaches need to be in big groups of at least 3 so i thought 4 would be good for them and rehome when they get to big?
what bad about the blue acara? i no they might eat small fish but as a juvenile it should be ok shouldnt it?
im definatly now considering a pair of gouramis or more?
is there a specific ratio for gouramis or does it not matter?
 
I have been doing some research on Gourami recently and the issue with them from what I hear is that you need to be able to tell the difference between the dominant one and the rest. The Dominant one should have brighter colors as well as his fins should be fully out. If you put 2 dominant ones together they will fight to decide who is what. Also I hear that if there is none all the gourami will fight untill they decide and even once you know which one is dominant, that one supposedly will pick out targets as well so you will need lots of hiding places and plants.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The issues with the platy may be that they breed like rabbits. I am sure that all you fish will eat the fry so unless you want to keep fry thats the only problem I can think of. You also may want to consider Dwarf Platy since there about 1in each and have a nice color to them. I believe there just Coral Platy and have multiple names.

Loach do need a group but since they grow so big I suspect they may eat smaller fish but I am no expect with loach at all that is just a guess.
 
I personally will never have gourami again, no matter what else happens in my tank I can't keep them alive - tried almost every type and they don't last more than 3-4 months tops.

Clown loachs is up to you if you want to increase the shoal and rehome later, but I've seen on here its quite hard to rehome them because most people will give them the space they need to start with and most people don't have tanks big enough.

Platy again up to you but a male with 3 females will breed so much and so fast they will overrun your tank, HOWEVER if you have bigger fish in there that eat the babies then it will control the population.
 
i love platies but they will fill your tank with young unless abigger fish is present then darwinism takes over
 
If you want a big attractive fish, you could probably fit 2 gold severums in there, but while growing up they'll use the tetra's as midnight snacks lol.

But it's depending on how heavily you've decorated the tank, I was told I could hold 2 gold severums in my 300 aslong as I wasn't stupid with over decorating it. 3 bits of wood, one on the left, one middle and 3rd bit on the right. Wouldn't bother too much with plants unless you have a carpet.
 
Nice shoal of buenos ares tetra would look good, when you feed them on tubiflex they feed like pirahanas, kribs are only aggressive if they have fry and will defend their territory, how about a couple of keyholes for the mid level and some hatchets if you have a tight fitting lid?
 
Da gouramis are a nice addition. Ive 2 pearls, and one giant.
My pearls kept fightin with each other so ive seperated them, but the giant is a cool fish to have. Its bright blue and orange colours are really eye catching.
As one of the earlier posts o this thread said, increasin the size of the shoalin fish is a good idea :D
 
in my opinion honey gouramis are the most placid species of gourami, i love them

my giant gourami is really shy lol
he peeks out from behind logs from time to time, and every now and agin when not too much commotion round my apt, he'll come out and be in full view.
but gouramis are cool, will have to see bout the honey ones, they can be next on me list :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top