If I get a pleco, what pleco to get?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ostrow

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So some of you will already know of my woes with algae in my new (2 months now) 29Gallon tank with Eclipse 3 hood filtration system.

I have in that tank the following:
4 platies/variatus
6 dwarf gouramis
2 small clown loaches
1 siamese algae eater
2 otocinclus
1 small sword plant
1 crypt wendtii
small loose hedge of water wisteria

I'm anticipating a loss of a platy or two soon for age reasons, and probably one of the dearf gouramis who is looking a bit nipped...

Anyway, I'm thinking about a pleco to help with waste and algae control. But I worry about the size of the tank and numbers of fish, etc etc. I don't think I want a huge one.

I've read a bit about the Tiger Plecos and others, that if I read correctly get only to about 4-6". Is this true? Do they help with waste control as the "regular" plecos are supposed to? Or are there other types that would be better? Or would this all just be a mistake?

Thanks!

Ther are alot of plcos out there that stay small and more being found all the time, infact the choice is endless. Though with alot of them ther is also a nice price tag to go with them -_-

If you want a nice one that stays very small and is readily available in the trade and don't cost too much (on this side of the pond anyway?) you could try a bristlenose.

BRISTLENOSE :thumbs:

:)

Thanks. UGLY! :sad:

I like the Tiger Pleco a lot. But maybe I'll look into this guy.

How can you call a bristlenose ugly - they're cute - I've got one called Sam and he's luvely :wub:

Look at the pic on that link! That thing is hardly cute! :lol: :lol:

'Tiger Plecs', of which several species (some described to science, others still listed as L no's) are either of the Hypancistrus, Peckoltia or Panaquolus species of Loricariidae and are VERY poor algae eaters. Not all 'plecs' feed on algae. The three species named above have a primarily carniverous requirement (bloodworm and chopped prawn/mussel/earthworm), supplemented with pellet and some greenfoods in the aquarium. They are beautiful fish of course, but wouldn't really address the algae problem that you have.
A Bristlenose would be great but if you don't like the look of the ones in the pics here then don't despair, if you check out planet catfish and look up Ancistrus on the cat-e-log section, you can view some piccys of other types. I have a male Ancistrus cf. Hoploglenys and he's a real little beauty, velvet black with bright white 'starlight' patterning on him and white edges to his dorsal and caudal fins. See if your lfs can get hold of any of these. Part of their character is in how they act, not just their appearance... they can be among the funniest fish you can watch!! :)

Hey Gibbo how big do those guys get?

These things can get pricey, I wonder if this one is particularly hard to find how much he'd go for in the colonies over here....

u mean ancistrus! about 4-5 inches if i remember!! breed at 2.5 inches! depending on what kind of ancistrus! think there was about 50 last time i looked :D i have 4 white seam ancistrus

I have a male Ancistrus cf. Hoploglenys and he's a real little beauty, velvet black with bright white 'starlight' patterning on him and white edges to his dorsal and caudal fins.
I meant these guys. But I presume 4-5". Course, I don' have any idea where I could get one I could afford....

Hey, I got one, and I have no idea what I got :fun: :fun: :fun:

$2 got me what a store calls a "Dwarf Bristlenose Pleco". Course, there ain't no mention of that common name anywhere on the web. It looks like that Ancistrus cf. Hoploglenys, except, the spots look more gold to me, and the store says max of 3-4".

Anyway, it's cute. Even if I'm not sure exactly what it is.

$2 cuz it's a baby baby. Not even 1/2" long.

No! Body is more black. And dorsal and tail fins have bright white edges. It may be the one Gibbo mentioned, but Gibbo hasn't said how big that one gets and this one is called "dwarf" to max 4". Also, mine has spots more golden, less white. So I don't know... Maybe a crossbreed :hyper:

I've just read an article that says the Bristlenose catfish are soft water fish! Hope not because I want one for my community tank and it doesn't have soft water! :/

Most reactions

Back