Identifying Siamese Algae Eater

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BoomerXIV

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi!

So I recently bought a SAE which supposedly a true SAE not flying fox or anything else. From my experience most of sellers sell Flying fox as SAE, since I can't really tell if my fish is really a SAE or not, could you guys help me identify it? First pic is the photo from the seller, and the rest is my SAE (I only bought 1).
Thanks in advance and sorry if the pic is blurry!
Screenshot_2020-08-25-19-15-23-497_com.tokopedia.tkpd.jpg
IMG_20200825_191025.jpg
IMG_20200825_191035.jpg
IMG_20200825_190730.jpg

Oy, I've never figured that out. If you google "identify siamese algae eater" there are time tips, but...oy. The SAEs (real ones!) I've had weren't that interesting or that good at eating algae, so I gave up on them a long time ago.

Oy, I've never figured that out. If you google "identify siamese algae eater" there are time tips, but...oy. The SAEs (real ones!) I've had weren't that interesting or that good at eating algae, so I gave up on them a long time ago.
The ones that really do move it i find is the Albino algae eaters, they're all over the place but it's when they mature properly past 3" they start on your fish.

Yep this is why I really not sure if mine is true SAE, since mine almost looks like a true SAE(from every source that I read) except the black lines doesn't looks continue to the tail. And from what I've read they should eat Black beard Algae, and mine doesn't really touch the BBA

Yep this is why I really not sure if mine is true SAE, since mine almost looks like a true SAE(from every source that I read) except the black lines doesn't looks continue to the tail. And from what I've read they should eat Black beard Algae, and mine doesn't really touch the BBA
Like i stated previous brilliant algae eaters are albino they're all over the show but since 2 turned aggressive and the last one went over 3" i wasn't going to risk my fish, so now i keep to corys which i find brilliant.

Like i stated previous brilliant algae eaters are albino they're all over the show but since 2 turned aggressive and the last one went over 3" i wasn't going to risk my fish, so now i keep to corys which i find brilliant.
Thanks i'll keep that in mind, to be honest I'm quite disappointed with how my SAE doesn't really help me with my algae problem, but strangely I want to make a dedicated tank for him, well.. Not really dedicated for him but at least my SAE will be the centerpiece, turned out I really like their look :D

Thanks i'll keep that in mind, to be honest I'm quite disappointed with how my SAE doesn't really help me with my algae problem, but strangely I want to make a dedicated tank for him, well.. Not really dedicated for him but at least my SAE will be the centerpiece, turned out I really like their look :D
Your SAE reminds me off dwarf otto's, i brought 6 and only 1 was able to survive they're very touchy fish and he loves the slime on the tube, as long as you like him that's all that counts.
This was my first tank a 20 litre and watch the albino they can't get enough of algae they work the gravel ornaments and glass constant.

There are some types of algae that nothing eats. Rather than get a fish to deal with it, it is better to find out why you have algae and rectify the problem. Some algae will always be present in a tank.
The cause of algae is lighting and fertiliser (when there are live plants) not in balance. Too much light or too little light; too much fertiliser or not enough fertiliser.

These fish are commonly sold as algae eaters
What the shop doesn't say is they stop eating algae as they grow and they grow huge. They are a fish best avoided.

What the shop doesn't say is they stop eating algae as they grow and they grow huge. They are a fish best avoided.
essjay great point, i've brought fish in the past that are fine and have ended up either chasing or attacking.

Your SAE reminds me off dwarf otto's, i brought 6 and only 1 was able to survive they're very touchy fish and he loves the slime on the tube, as long as you like him that's all that counts.
This was my first tank a 20 litre and watch the albino they can't get enough of algae they work the gravel ornaments and glass constant.

The trouble with ottos, I find, is that they only eat algae, so they starve in biologically immature, chemically treated, algae-free tanks, i.e. pet store tanks. Often, by the time they make it to a home aquarium, they're so far gone that there's no saving them. Once they get through the first week or so, they seem to live forever! ha ha :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back