identify this salamander

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

thanks guys
I decided to keep him and he seems very happy. I have set up a ten gallon and I've gotten a filter for it. I feed him shrimp pellets. Is there anything else that I need to do to make him happy. At the lake they are usually hiding under leaves, It would be a bad idea to put leaves in the tank though wouldn't it. I'm thinking of getting a gerbil tube and burying everything but the ends in the gravel so he can hide when he wants too. when I stick my finger in the tank near his head he lifts his head up and sticks his nose against my finger. He let's me pet him and he doesn't run from me anymore. He's the coolest little thing.

What else do you guys suggest I put in the tank with him if i decide to put in anything else. It's got no heater and no light. What will go in this tank. I would prefer something that he could eat if you can think of anything. Thanks again.

i want one now! im gonna try and set up a 10 gal with like 2. ill feed em blood worms(frozen), krill(frozen), shrimp pellets, and maybe beef heart. i could also put my ADF's in there instead of in my other tank right? so i would have 2 red efts, and 2 ADF's in a 10 gal
sounds good?

i went to my lfs today and asked them if i could keep an adf with my salamander in an unheated tank. He said NO. So Space you may want to check on that before you put them in,

You think I could keep one with my frog? I have a male green frog living alone in a 20 gallon. It's only filled up 1/3 of the way and it does have land. It is unheated.

spAcE mOnkEy said:
cool! we have a bunch of these in my woods. yep, thats a red eft. they actually come out of the water and turn into a salamander and arent a newt anymore. i think they only do this when they want to though, so they could be a newt for their whole life. the salamander stage is very pretty, they are bright orange. i want to keep some now! :p
Actually the juvenile stage is the red eft, and as adults (See my pictures) they become more aquatic ;)
I have 4 Eastern spotted newts and 3 ADF's in a 10g tank :p

Panther, as long as the frog can not eat the newt, I'd say go for it :)

Most small aquatic amphibians that like a room temperature should be ok with these guys, firebelly newts would be :)

Actually the juvenile stage is the red eft, and as adults (See my pictures) they become more aquatic
I have 4 Eastern spotted newts and 3 ADF's in a 10g tank

ahh ok. thanks for correcting me. i just caught like 5 at a pond near my house. my friend wants one, his name on the forum is boom-sage. i was gonna keep 4 of them in my 15 gallon with sand. just feed them blood worms and shrimp pellets probably. ill tell you how it goes!

My frog is too stupid to eat anything but crickets. I tried feeding him feeder fish, and he never gave a rip about them. I tried feeding him a worm, and it just freaked him out. I think the newt should be safe. ;)

my internet's been down for a couple days so i've been itching to get on here. I caught another one of the little guys and he's in the tank now. I have another ID problem now though. While I was hunting for another newt I came across two snails sitting on a log. I have a bit of land in my tank so I figured, "if they aren't aquatic they won't go in the water and I can take them back. Wel they stay in the water so I guess I'm keeping them. But what are they. They are brown about the size of an acorn and they have a twisted shell, kinda spirally. Also whil i was at the lak I saw a bag floating in the water. I picked it up to see if anything was under it, and because it's trash, and low and behold there was a fish inside of the bag. I took the little guy out and dumped him in the powerade bottle that I picked up on the side of the pond to transport the critters. Anyway I could swear that he's a guppy. Is this possible? He has the same fins as a guppy i think except he isn't colorful. His sides are shiny though. Could he be a guppy and if he is would it be a good idea to breed him with fancy guppies. I heard that fancies are getting really bad genes because of poor breeding habits and I was thinking that I could Imporve the species by breeding it with a wild guppy.

sorry the second one is the snail.

DVC00621.jpg

DVC00619.jpg

DVC00620.jpg

Most reactions

Back