What's new

Identify my Cory

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Ol' Timer

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum but not to fish keeping. Just got given a couple of Corys as rescues, but I don't recognize the specific species. The giver didn't remember where he got them so rather than scrolling through page after page of photos I was hoping someone here might recognize the species. This one is the lager of the two and is 2" long.
Cory.jpg
Thanks ahead of time.

That looks like a pepper cory to me but I am no expert. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-paleatus/

He does look like he was in need of rescue. Make sure you do regular water changes and his (their?) fins should recover. At least 50-60% per week, but more often would be preferable initially.

Note that corydoras do need a sandy substrate because of the way they feed. They also need to be in groups of at least 6, although I would focus on getting these guys into good condition and providing a better substrate before getting any more.

That looks like a pepper cory to me but I am no expert. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-paleatus/

He does look like he was in need of rescue. Make sure you do regular water changes and his (their?) fins should recover. At least 50-60% per week, but more often would be preferable initially.

Note that corydoras do need a sandy substrate because of the way they feed. They also need to be in groups of at least 6, although I would focus on getting these guys into good condition and providing a better substrate before getting any more.

Thank you, Pepper Cory does suit his looks. I did a 50% water change yesterday but he will just have to make do with the gravel for a while, I only have room for one tank and don't plan to break it down any time soon. Both of them are doing well, and they are chowing down on freeze dried shrimp and both are looking much better that they did when I got them.Years back when I had a store there were only a couple of species of Corys available, nowadays there are different varieties all over the place. I'd like to find out the exact binomial name of this guy, but Pepper Cory will suffice for now, thanks again.

Peppered corys are usually dark grey on light grey but this one is brown? At least the photo is brown.
But I'm sure Seanagee is right as the size and pattern matches and I can't think what else it would be.

Peppered corys are usually dark grey on light grey but this one is brown? At least the photo is brown.
But I'm sure Seanagee is right as the size and pattern matches and I can't think what else it would be.

Good eye, yes both of them are definitely brown when you look closely at them. I guess we just go with paleatus for now. I'm sure they originally came from a chain store so odds are they are a common species. Whatever they are they are more colorful than the regular old green Corydorus Aeneus corys that used to dominate the fish trade.

Yes they are nice fish. The good thing is they won't mind shoaling with a different corydoras variety if your can't find an exact match.
I love my school of panda corys - they remind me of a litter of excited puppies with their wagging tails clambering all over each other

Yes they are nice fish. The good thing is they won't mind shoaling with a different corydoras variety if your can't find an exact match.
I love my school of panda corys - they remind me of a litter of excited puppies with their wagging tails clambering all over each other

You read my mind, I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids about corys, and have considered getting myself a school of them. I just might be able to sneak another 10 gal into my place if I try, (don't tell my landlord, I had to twist his arm to get the 20 gal I have now). if I do I'll populate it with a bunch of whatever cory I can find locally.

You read my mind, I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids about corys, and have considered getting myself a school of them. I just might be able to sneak another 10 gal into my place if I try, (don't tell my landlord, I had to twist his arm to get the 20 gal I have now). if I do I'll populate it with a bunch of whatever cory I can find locally.

A 10g tank is very small space for most all cories except the "dwarf" species. The 20g is better, and a group of around 12-15 in total.

A 10g tank is very small space for most all cories except the "dwarf" species. The 20g is better, and a group of around 12-15 in total.

I know, will probably move the Tetras and the others into the 10 and make a dedicated cory tank outta the 20. One of those things I'll do when I find that round tuit I lost a few years back, (lol).

They can and do change colour. At least mine have. When last I bought some they were distinctly brown and mine were more dark grey on light grey. Today I can't tell which ones are the old and which are the new. I'm not sure if the factor is water parameters or substrate. I suspect the water has something to do with it as I have made my water progressively softer over the last year and the dark areas are now very rich, almost metallic and more blue than grey.

Of course a lot depends on the camera and lighting. In this (a few minutes ago) this one looks more green
20190720_185410 (2).jpg

But there is a lot of tannin in the water (it is intentionally a blackwater tank) and the light is being filtered through a green canopy.
20190720_170407 (3).jpg

Last edited:
I know, will probably move the Tetras and the others into the 10 and make a dedicated cory tank outta the 20. One of those things I'll do when I find that round tuit I lost a few years back, (lol).

Most tetras will not have sufficient space in as 10g either. A 20g is basically minimum for most of these fish, since they are shoaling and thus need a group of their own.

Ah, the round tuit...someone in the office gave these out many years ago!

You guys are great, thanks for the advice and photos.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back