Identify guppy please!

BeccaBear374

Reaction score
I just got this female 2 days ago now, she had 20 fry yesterday. This is my 2nd female that has had fry so far. I was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying what kind of guppy she is? Or her color? A lot of her fry were born yellow/orange, some were grey, does the color at birth have any indication of color as a full grown guppy? All fry from my other female were grey, so just curious. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220606-132950_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606-132950_Gallery.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20220606-133030_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606-133030_Gallery.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 31
I just got this female 2 days ago now, she had 20 fry yesterday. This is my 2nd female that has had fry so far. I was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying what kind of guppy she is? Or her color? A lot of her fry were born yellow/orange, some were grey, does the color at birth have any indication of color as a full grown guppy? All fry from my other female were grey, so just curious. Pictures attached.
Looking at the pattern and color in her fins, she could be a blue cobra, blue leopard or blue mosaic female guppy. In females, those pattern look almost the same in all three strains mentioned. But most leopard and cobra females have a darker saddle. Which this female doesn't show.

The fact that she's dropped yellow/orange fry besides grey ones, must mean that she may have mated with a male (or males) that were having a blond base color, have carried blonde genes or that she herself carries blond genes.

A blond, grey, gold, copper, blue, bronze, pink, white or nigrocaudatus base color (the color all fry are born with), doesn't say anything about the final coloration (second color or colors) and the markings as an adult. That has got totally to do with the genetics of both parents.

Both sexes can have dominant and/or recessive genes that can be passed on. There are a lot of people who think that just the male is responsible for the phenotype of the newborns. That's totally nonsense. You can only pass on the phenotypical traits of a male guppy when one uses a female that has got only recessive traits in comparison to the male. And breed virgin daughters to their father again. And if you'd like to see the coloration or markings of the male's fins in the male offspring, use a recessive female that has got clear fins. If you'd like to control the shape of the fins in the offspring, that will need another tactic.

Looking at the pattern and color in her fins, she could be a blue cobra, blue leopard or blue mosaic female guppy. In females, those pattern look almost the same in all three strains mentioned. But most leopard and cobra females have a darker saddle. Which this female doesn't show.

The fact that she's dropped yellow/orange fry besides grey ones, must mean that she may have mated with a males (or males) that were having a blond base color, have carried blonde genes or that she herself carries blond genes.

A blond, grey, gold, copper, blue, bronze, pink, white or nigrocaudatus base color (the color all fry are born with), doesn't say anything about the final coloration (second color or colors) and the markings as an adult. That has got totally to do with the genetics of both parents.

Both sexes can have dominant and/or recessive genes that can be passed on. There are a lot of people who think that just the male is responsible for the phenotype of the newborns. That's totally nonsense. You can only pass on the phenotypical traits of a male guppy when one uses a female that has got only recessive traits in comparison to the male. And breed to virgin daughters to their father again. And if you'd like to see the coloration or markings of the male's fins in the male offspring, use a recessive female that has got clear fins. If you'd like to control the shape of the fins in the offspring, that will need another tactic.
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that, it's so interesting, seriously thank you for sharing your knowledge with me, I really appreciate it!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back