Ideas for internal sump design

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kiko

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I got a whole bunch of glass and a 19gal tank...
exact measurements are: 23.5L x 12W x 15.5H...
already have a 45gal with an overflow+venturi 1 way design (partition to partition) at 200gph...a 10gal with an underwater design where the water gets pulled from below the water level line at 400gph
now I'm looking for the next design as my previous idea using a degasser went out the window after seeing degassing valves going for over 600 bucks
So I'm looking for something different than mine...got an idea that never got to do it for a sump? spill it xD

What is a degasser?

Also following because I really want to build a sump but am leery of an overflow tank and would rather have a drilled tank.

What is a degasser?

Also following because I really want to build a sump but am leery of an overflow tank and would rather have a drilled tank.
it's a valve to release all sorts of gases in piping...you have air vents which pretty much allow for flow and a T connector allowing the air to vent but also allows air in piping..
a degasser works a bit different..when the water passes through it pushes the valve up closing it...when air starts to build up...it increases increases increases until the valve comes down releases the air and the liquid pushes it back up to close....could be used for venting air/gases or as a pressure relief valve...in an aquarium it could simply be used in the return piping to remove/reduce bubbles or to lower ph by removing oxygen...think of it as a mechanical oxygen controller
this was my idea until I saw the 600$+ tag along with it
1658697492999.png

here's the tanks I did with 2 different approaches...
overflow+venturi suction into the sump at 200gph
(I opened a couple more holes in the venturi side of it after this because the flow wasnt keeping up with the pump and flowing over the wall)

and the 10gal underwater pull at 400gph

So as flow goes....the 2nd design even at half capacity (blockage by filters/sponges etc...it's still a 20X turnover on a 10gal)

Interesting, so this is an integrated sump? I have not seen one before, but I am new to sumps.

Interesting, so this is an integrated sump? I have not seen one before, but I am new to sumps.
both of them yes...from experience I can tell you overflow somewhat sucks....
fish ALWAYS decide to go over/between the glass intake into the sump specially fry...
as for the smaller 10gal I have substrate on the intake partition which prevents adult shrimp and even smaller guys from going into it...not 100% though
but the design allows for more flow and less losses with smaller guys
the new one I've been thinking is probably going to be using an inline pump pulling the water from underwater level through a dual-sponge filter
and push it using a needle valve to a fully closed partition with holes on both sides to make it act like a filtration box slash..."canister in a sump"?!?
open the lid on top and put floss...media whatever inside...close and the pump would push the water through it and into a side partition to disperse the water into the tank
instead of having a "jet" much like the 10gal..so fish aren't being "thrown" by the return water...
this way I could attach my co2 into it too and have the filtration break it in finer bubbles mixing faster with the water wasting less co2
and have the best of both worlds...internal sump/canister 2 in 1 deal...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back