Ideal Nitrate/Nitrite Levels for Growing Plants

lizard

Married Lizard
Reaction score
Residing in a big city in Minnesota, but I'm a cou
I did water tests tonight and ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte were all at zero. Do plants need there to be a certain level of any of the above-mentioned chems in order to grow (well)? The fish and plants were moved from the 10-gallon to the 29-gallon tank yesterday or the day before. Filter from the 10-gallon is running, so there shouldn't be a cycling problem.

Thanks!

Pamela
aka Married Lizard

Your plants want nitrates in the water. It's best to keep the nitrates at 10ppm. You can add nitrates to a planted tank by using Green Light Stump Remover (Found at Lowe's and similar stores). Don't use just any stump remover, as they may have unwanted ingredients. You can read about the mixture at the following website.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nitrate.htm

First off, under what conditions are you growing aquarium plants and what type of plants? Do you have high lighting and at what schedule? Do you use CO2 at all? What is your tank size? Answer these and we can see about letting you know if your nitrates are an issue.

You want a balance of many different elements for growing plants. Nitrogen is one of them. The 3 main things plants need, aquarium and terrestial, are Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), and Potassium (K). After thes main 3, there are many micro-nutrients plants also need, but whether you need any of this added depends on the questions above. Do you have a phosphate test kit? I think this is a very important kit to have for growing plants. I now add nitrogen regularly to try and raise my nitrates to 10-20mg/L under the recommendations from several people here, but that is due to my phosphates being high as well. My nitrates are raised to try to achieve and maintain a balance between the N and P.

Colin

Nitrites should be kept at 0, it does not affect plant growth

oeps not true..

stump remover will not increase your nitrates.. stump remover adds Potassium (K)

BUT

I would get some of those fertilizer stick with a N:p:K value of 3:2:3, break them in half and plant them as deep into the gravel as possible under the plant roots, these would give your plants a boost and because its in the gravel almost nothing gets into the water for algae to grow..and only add a stick for every 15Gallons of water

Silly me said:
Nitrites should be kept at 0, it does not affect plant growth

oeps not true..
From all the research I've done, Phantom Thief's assertion that nitrites don't affect plant growth is true. Plants take up ammonium preferentially and then nitrates, but do not utilize nitrites for metabolism.

Silly me said:
stump remover will not increase your nitrates.. stump remover adds Potassium (K)
Yes it will increase your nitrates. It's pure KNO3. Please research this before providing a member with incorrect information. :thumbs:

Colin_BC said:
First off, under what conditions are you growing aquarium plants and what type of plants? Do you have high lighting and at what schedule? Do you use CO2 at all? What is your tank size? Answer these and we can see about letting you know if your nitrates are an issue.

You want a balance of many different elements for growing plants. Nitrogen is one of them. The 3 main things plants need, aquarium and terrestial, are Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), and Potassium (K). After thes main 3, there are many micro-nutrients plants also need, but whether you need any of this added depends on the questions above. Do you have a phosphate test kit?
My tank is a 29-gallon tall with sand substrate.

Not sure what kind of plants mine all are. I know I have some sort of Amazon Sword and Corkscrew Vallisneria. The rest I don't know.

Right now I have about 45 watts of light for the tank. When I have the money, I want to get a new hood and lighting so that I have about 60 watts of lighting. Lights are on for at least 12 hours a day.

I do not use CO2. I have yet to add any fertilizer for the plants or anything like that, but am considering it. I don't have a phosphate test kit.

Thanks!

Pamela
aka Married Lizard

Most reactions

Back