ID please on this floating plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I neglected to write down what the below is, and would like to update notes I keep on the tank and what has been added to it.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20210824_134023.jpg
    20210824_134023.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210824_134016.jpg
    20210824_134016.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 45
Hi,

I neglected to write down what the below is, and would like to update notes I keep on the tank and what has been added to it.

Thank you
Frogbit

Barry wins this one. It is Water Lettuce, Pistia stratiotes. Mine looks exactly like the plant in the photo when it first appears. As it grows larger, it forms some central aerial leaves, but initially the plants look as pictured, connected too. I did at first think Frogbit, but the leaves are more indented and "waxy" on Frogbit. And the roots in the second photo are unquestionably P. stratiotes...I had these grow vertically down from the floating plant all the way to the substrate in my 10g tank, quite an effect.

Barry wins this one. It is Water Lettuce, Pistia stratiotes. Mine looks exactly like the plant in the photo when it first appears. As it grows larger, it forms some central aerial leaves, but initially the plants look as pictured, connected too. I did at first think Frogbit, but the leaves are more indented and "waxy" on Frogbit. And the roots in the second photo are unquestionably P. stratiotes...I had these grow vertically down from thi ;) s floating plant all the way to the substrate in my 10g tank, quite an effect.
They are lovely and remind somewhat to the life form encountered on Star Trek the Next Generation (Far point station).

Odd how my mind works - or not as the case may be.

Thanks again Byron

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back