Id needed

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this tetra? It was sold as goldfin tetra (Astyanax Sp. "Lago Tele") photos of that can be found in Baensch vol 1 page 100. I'm certain it is not a gold fin tetra
20230609_103606.jpg

🤔 black neon tetra? 🤷‍♀️

🤔 black neon tetra? 🤷‍♀️
Not a black neon, they don't have that yellow and shape in the dorsal fin, or the black line under the body.

Sorry I can't be more help, there are a bunch of tetra that look similar to the one above, I think! But I know that @Slaphppy7 is a big tetra fan and might know, as might @WhistlingBadger or @Byron ! Hope you find out soon!

I cannot be definite, only can say it has the shape/features of an Astyanax species, but this is also (to my eyes) much the same as Hemmigrammus ulreyi. If the fish actually came in with the genus Astyanax identified, I would be inclined to accept that--but this depends upon the reliability of the exporter and importer. If you can see the store's invoice, it might have the location of capture if this was wild caught, and that is often the best clue. There are 125 valid distinct species in Astyanax (according to Fishbase) but few are apparently known in the hobby. This would likely be a wild caught fish if this ID is correct. Again, just noting the issue, but some of this questioning may help ID the fish.

H. ulreyi would be my offer also.

all the pictures I'm finding of Hemmigrammus ulreyi, the center line is incomplete... I think they are also called "Broken Line Tetras"... OP's picture the line is so dark & complete... but I was never really good at identifying, there are so many color stages as a fish ages, & so many crosses bred now days...

looking this over Hemmigrammus ulreyi, looks most likely to me as well, although these have line issues as well...

other options???

Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis
Pristella maxillaris

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back