I'd like to create a terrarium for my crayfish

Destany

Reaction score
I have my crayfish (wild caught and BEAUTIFUL!) in a 10g tank with a hang on the back filter.
I really like this guy, he's about 7-8", and very pretty. His head and front claws are blue, his back is brown, with a red tail and his underside is completely white.

crayfish.jpg

crayfish2.jpg

I'd like to drain half of the water out of the tank and create a few dry spots, mainly for feeding purposes so I can give him crickets and things and just make his enviroment more like the creek he came from. I'll be making a biotope out of the elements of the creek.

Any suggestions on the background? I want something more natural looking, but I don't really want to spend anything. Also, how would I filter the water? The tank currently uses a hang on the back filter system, but the waterline will be too low for it. I have an air pump, and thought about rigging some sort of filtration with that. Also, I'd like to have some sort of water fall which will act as a biological filter.

Any ideas?

Maybe you can get round it all by reducing the water level only slightly but making the sand deeper and piling some rocks higher so that they extend above the water line. Then you should be able to still continue to run your current filter but have the lwoer waterline and areas above water like you wanted as well. As for the background, a black background is best if you don't want to spend any money on anything fancy as it won't distract you from the contents of the tank like most other colors do.

Love the pearl in your avatar. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back