ID Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hello all, getting some gnarly looking algae growing on my rocks and near the substrate. Would love some help figuring out exactly what it is.
6C017912-456B-4023-8479-110BE580216C.jpeg
Thanks in advance!

Is it brown ? If so , that stuff comes around all the time. You do your regular maintenance and sometimes it either dies back to an acceptable level or even goes away altogether . Pond snails eat it with relish . It seems to come around most with newly set up aquariums.

Looks like black brush (AKA black beard) algae. In certain conditions it can take over your tank. Several years ago I had a severe infestation that nearly drove me out of the hobby. If you want my advice,

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Or spot treat with hydrogen peroxide or Flourish Excel, which are probably safer for your fish.

Is it brown ? If so , that stuff comes around all the time. You do your regular maintenance and sometimes it either dies back to an acceptable level or even goes away altogether . Pond snails eat it with relish . It seems to come around most with newly set up aquariums.
It is brown, I'll look into those snails.

Looks like black brush (AKA black beard) algae. In certain conditions it can take over your tank. Several years ago I had a severe infestation that nearly drove me out of the hobby. If you want my advice,

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Or spot treat with hydrogen peroxide or Flourish Excel, which are probably safer for your fish.
Oh I hope it isn't. How do you spot treat?

Get a little syringe from the pharmacy, fill it with excel, lower your water level, and squirt enough to get the algae wet. Then refill your tank. It will die off over the next day or two. Your algae eaters, who won't touch the stuff when it's alive, will feast on it when it's dead or dying.

Get a little syringe from the pharmacy, fill it with excel, lower your water level, and squirt enough to get the algae wet. Then refill your tank. It will die off over the next day or two. Your algae eaters, who won't touch the stuff when it's alive, will feast on it when it's dead or dying.
Great I'll give it a shot!

Good luck! You can also spot treat under water, but I find it a lot easier when the algae is exposed. So if it's in an isolated spot that's up high, that's how I'd do it.

Take the ornament out and hose it off. If the algae smells musty/ mouldy, it is blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria).

Gravel clean the substrate every week and it should prevent algae growing on it.

Add some live plants to use up the light and nutrients and limit the algae growing in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back