Ich Treatment Advice

New to the forum and hoping that piggy-backing this thread will be okay.

I am now "fighting" a recent outbreak of Ich as well -- today is Day 3 of treatment.

I have 2 Glofish, 5 neon tetras and 3 Sunset Fire Platies.

The platies are all alive, but laying/hovering on the gravel at bottom of tank. Is this normal?

I've read that Ich may never 100% be erradicated, but should get to levels low enough as to not effect the fish. If this is true, would it not be best to euthanize the fish, therefore guaranteeing that all of the Ich dies off?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

It is a myth that whitespot is present in all aquaria. It comes from a lack of understanding about the parasite. Yes, if the tank is not treated correctly some parasites will remain, and will infect other fish. But it should be completely eradicated if the medication instructions are followed precisely, ie increasing the temperature and treating the tank even after the spots have gone. I've read it recommended to treat the tank till three days after the very last spot on a fish has disappeared.

Your platies - they could be sensitive to the medication you are using. Or there could be insufficient oxygen in the water (though in this case I would have thought they'd be gasping at the top). Warmer water holds less oxygen, and some medications deplete the oxygen content of the water as well.
Make sure the filter is rippling the surface, or use an airstone to circulate the water more efficiently, if you have one.

Update:

So day 6 of treating the tank with Protozin. Signs look good. Only a few spots left. I have been half dosing due to me having loaches.
Tomorrow is day 6 so final dose day.
I am going to treat for another week, so would I do a water change in day 1 again then start dosing or should I just add the meds to the current water?

I did a water change between courses when I had whitespot, it didn't seem to do any harm. Though I don't know if it was the right thing to do. Having a low KH, I'm always worried about not doing a water change every week which the main reason I did one.

I would say do a water change, especially as you are half-dosing because of the sensitive fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back