Ich outbreak in quarantine tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Are you using heat or chemicals to treat the fish?
If using chemicals, you don't need to raise the temperature, just have it at normal tropical temps.

If you are using heat to treat the white spot, you need the temperature at 30C (86F) to kill the parasites. If the water is 84F, it won't kill the parasites and only helps them grow and reproduce faster.

You need to increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels when using medications or heat.

You can also treat white spot by moving the fish into a clean container of water each day for a week. The fish get moved into a new container of clean water every 24 hours. The parasites that fall off are left behind and the fish get moved into clean water without any parasites. Over 3-4 days, all the parasites fall off and the fish are left free of them. Continue moving them daily for 7 days and wash nets and heater before using them again.

The following link has information about white spot. Post 1 and 16 are worth a read.

Are you using heat or chemicals to treat the fish?
If using chemicals, you don't need to raise the temperature, just have it at normal tropical temps.

If you are using heat to treat the white spot, you need the temperature at 30C (86F) to kill the parasites. If the water is 84F, it won't kill the parasites and only helps them grow and reproduce faster.

You need to increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels when using medications or heat.

You can also treat white spot by moving the fish into a clean container of water each day for a week. The fish get moved into a new container of clean water every 24 hours. The parasites that fall off are left behind and the fish get moved into clean water without any parasites. Over 3-4 days, all the parasites fall off and the fish are left free of them. Continue moving them daily for 7 days and wash nets and heater before using them again.

The following link has information about white spot. Post 1 and 16 are worth a read.

Using APIā€™s ich meds to treat right now. They recommend 82f for using their treatment.

itā€™s been too hard to dial it in, Iā€™m probably going to need a new heater for that tank.

between the sponge filter and HOB filter, I have enough turbulence on the surface for oxygen exchange.

I have a bit of time before I get dinner going, so Iā€™ll read through that thread you linked right now.

And I will keep the moving fish idea in my back pocket. I donā€™t have the time or space for that right now, but itā€™s something I can have setup in the future.

The best method for moving fish daily is a couple of plastic storage containers. Just fill them with dechlorinated water, add an airstone and heater (if required), then add the fish. Each day you scoop the fish out and put them in the second container, which already has clean dechlorinated water in. You disinfect nets, heater, airstone and first container. Then set it back up with clean water. Keep moving the fish into a clean tank each day for 1 week.

This is how we used to treat white spot on marine fish in coral tanks. Basically put the fish in a clean container of sea water and move them each day. They leave the spots behind when you move them and eventually end up free of the parasites. No chemicals or extra heat required.

The best method for moving fish daily is a couple of plastic storage containers. Just fill them with dechlorinated water, add an airstone and heater (if required), then add the fish. Each day you scoop the fish out and put them in the second container, which already has clean dechlorinated water in. You disinfect nets, heater, airstone and first container. Then set it back up with clean water. Keep moving the fish into a clean tank each day for 1 week.

This is how we used to treat white spot on marine fish in coral tanks. Basically put the fish in a clean container of sea water and move them each day. They leave the spots behind when you move them and eventually end up free of the parasites. No chemicals or extra heat required.
Doesn't that just stress the fish.

Not if your good with the net, and the fish recover faster from that than from being exposed to chemicals. It's a last resort treatment but works.

Thanks for that explanation Colin.

I will definitely consider that as an option for the future. Seems like a great method, I understand the theory behind leaving the parasites behind and reducing the infections.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back