Ich in my 60L tank (I think it’s ich)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Snoyo1

Reaction score
Good evening all,
Ive had a bit of a situation here this week with my 60L planted tank. I noticed one of my neon tetras had some white spots on his fins and tail earlier this week. I also have corydoras, a pleco and snails but the only fish that looked infected was that one neon tetra. I did notice some spots on the snails too actually but sort of clumped together. I raised the temp on my tank to about 24C first. Didn’t want to raise it super high because I was worried about my corys mainly. I bought some medication called white spot remedy by the brand blue planet. I dosed the tank about 3 days ago now. My neon tetra unfortunately did not make it… my other fish seem fine though. I’m not really sure where to go from here. Should I continue dosing the tank? Also I was checking the plants and there is some weird clear jelly like spots on some of the plants leaves. Is that ich?? If I could get any advice I would be very appreciative. Thank you. I’ll attach a photo of the medication I’m using and also the clear jelly stuff I got off the plants leaves.

The clear jelly spots sound like pest snail eggs.

Heat is the best treatment for white spot as all the medications are hard on fish. Cories won't come to harm at 30 deg C for 2 weeks.

Since you did use medication, if you followed the dosing instructions properly, the ich should be gone. All the meds I've seen say to dose on certain days and keep on dosing for a number of days even if the spots have gone. You added the med 3 days ago. If it says to add more, follow the instructions. If it is just a one dose treatment, don't add any more. Keep an eye on the fish and if the spots come back, do a big water change and raise the temperature to 30 deg C and keep it there for 2 weeks.

The reason meds usually say to dose on specific days even if the stage #1 spots have gone is to make sure there is some med in the water when the very last stage #2 parasite cyst releases the stage #3 parasites.

Good evening all,
Ive had a bit of a situation here this week with my 60L planted tank. I noticed one of my neon tetras had some white spots on his fins and tail earlier this week. I also have corydoras, a pleco and snails but the only fish that looked infected was that one neon tetra. I did notice some spots on the snails too actually but sort of clumped together. I raised the temp on my tank to about 24C first. Didn’t want to raise it super high because I was worried about my corys mainly. I bought some medication called white spot remedy by the brand blue planet. I dosed the tank about 3 days ago now. My neon tetra unfortunately did not make it… my other fish seem fine though. I’m not really sure where to go from here. Should I continue dosing the tank? Also I was checking the plants and there is some weird clear jelly like spots on some of the plants leaves. Is that ich?? If I could get any advice I would be very appreciative. Thank you. I’ll attach a photo of the medication I’m using and also the clear jelly stuff I got off the plants leaves.
The clear jelly spots sound like pest snail eggs.

Heat is the best treatment for white spot as all the medications are hard on fish. Cories won't come to harm at 30 deg C for 2 weeks.

Since you did use medication, if you followed the dosing instructions properly, the ich should be gone. All the meds I've seen say to dose on certain days and keep on dosing for a number of days even if the spots have gone. You added the med 3 days ago. If it says to add more, follow the instructions. If it is just a one dose treatment, don't add any more. Keep an eye on the fish and if the spots come back, do a big water change and raise the temperature to 30 deg C and keep it there for 2 weeks.

The reason meds usually say to dose on specific days even if the stage #1 spots have gone is to make sure there is some med in the water when the very last stage #2 parasite cyst releases the stage #3 parasites.
Thank you for the reply.
I will do another dose then because the bottle says to do another dose after 3 days. The jelly spots I’ve just spotted more on the glass and on the snails too. That’s a relief that it’s just snails eggs.
I really appreciate your advice thank you.

I rarely differ from @Essjay but I am going to here, for the sake of the cories (and remaining neons). Do not use the so-called ich medication. On characins any medication is more detrimental than most other fish*, and cories are sensitive to these things too. [I would not be surprised if the medication was the cause of the neons demise.] When chemicals/medications are not really needed, it is best to avoid them. Increase the tank water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for two weeks. This will not harm the cories or neons (both require lower temperatures long-term, but that is a different thing). Do a major water change to reduce the medication.

*When a characin is injured, it releases an alarm pheromone called Schreckstoff into the water that triggers an escape response in other members of the species. Other species do not respond to the presence of the pheromones. This chemical warning system may explain their heightened sensitivity to medications and fluctuating water conditions in the aquarium. Most medications suggest using them half-strength with characins present, but it is best if they can be avoided.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back