I Went To My Lfs Today, And The Females Weren't Females!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

constantine03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well, that's not true...some of them were. However, in the same tank there were at least 4 HMPK! They were chasing everyone a bit, and getting along so so. I imagine they were siblings. There was this one- he looked like a red cambo, but when he turned sideways his white turned to a bluish green (like my female's fins). Every time I walked to the tank, he'd swim up to the glass and stare at me. I wanted to get him so bad (he would've only been $2.99 since they thought he was a female!), but I didn't know where I would put him. I told the store workers that they had males in the tank. They acted like they could care less, and that I didn't know what I was talking about. I made one of them stay and watch him flare. Then he just said, "Well, that happens sometimes," and walked away as if I was wasting his time and didn't really know what I was talking about. Of course, that really bothered me since that store is the one that has their male bettas in seperate tanks with intakes and trickles...no cups...

:(

That's all. Just had to share.

Well, that's not true...some of them were. However, in the same tank there were at least 4 HMPK! They were chasing everyone a bit, and getting along so so. I imagine they were siblings. There was this one- he looked like a red cambo, but when he turned sideways his white turned to a bluish green (like my female's fins). Every time I walked to the tank, he'd swim up to the glass and stare at me. I wanted to get him so bad (he would've only been $2.99 since they thought he was a female!), but I didn't know where I would put him. I told the store workers that they had males in the tank. They acted like they could care less, and that I didn't know what I was talking about. I made one of them stay and watch him flare. Then he just said, "Well, that happens sometimes," and walked away as if I was wasting his time and didn't really know what I was talking about. Of course, that really bothered me since that store is the one that has their male bettas in seperate tanks with intakes and trickles...no cups...

:(

That's all. Just had to share.

Some people are jus complete muppets aint they lol...

Btw, loved the way your thread title was went to lfs and the females werent females and then your first line said.. well thats not true, some of them where ... it just gave me the giggles lol

I went to a Wal-Mart for the hell of it to check out bettas.

.... of course the bettas in cups... no big deal.

they had a 30gal (ish) tank with an older goldfish and a betta.... and a bubble wand across the entire length of the tank in addition to a pretty high flowing filter.

I observed for a bit........... betta didnt mind the flow... the bubbles restricted it to the corner of the tank. .....

every time the goldfish came within 6" of the betta, it flared.... bit/nipped/attacked within 2".....

"Super Duper Sales Dude" came up and goes, "Can I assist you?".........

Me: "No... just looking"

Me: "On a side note....... you might want to inform your manager that these two fish should not be kept together.... especially in the same conditions"
(i gave a brief explanation as to why")

Super sales dude: "oh, i know. my manager put them like this."

Me: "What"

Super Dude: "I know"

He went to stacking shampoos like a pro without any other comment......

ignorance is bliss for the morons.

Same happened to me yesterday and they didn't really care

ive been on at my local pets at home for a while about this now, but to no avail. their "breeder" knows better than me and i dont know what im talking about. they dont get their fish direc from a breeder, they are imports that go thru several dealers before they come this far north

Do staff not get any training these days? I asked girl in lfs if she had any rose tails.......a blank look ensued, followed by 'we've got rosey barbs' Arghhhhhhhhhhh :hyper:

And if you happen to come on here and recognise yourself,, your betta tanks are in a discusting state. If i could i would of rescued the lot of them.

Do staff not get any training these days? I asked girl in lfs if she had any rose tails.......a blank look ensued, followed by 'we've got rosey barbs' Arghhhhhhhhhhh :hyper:

And if you happen to come on here and recognise yourself,, your betta tanks are in a discusting state. If i could i would of rescued the lot of them.
in fairness.. rose tails arent something you see in lfs very often.. but i get your point

All the pet stores near me keep female bettas and male bettas in cups so they don't have the problem of keeping males and females together. I'm always checking for plakat boys though, just in case.

I really wish I had an in your face personality b/c I would've demanded that they do something about it. Pretty much make a big scene until something was done.

It seems like the petsmart where I go to get my bettas is getting a slightly bit better about their knowledge, they're still not great, but they're improving.

I went to Petsmart to get some snails last night and there was a father/daughter buying one of those tiny, not even a gallon, tanks. He had two cups in his hands...a female and a male. I just walked up to him and politely said, "Those guys will probably hurt each other if you put them together."

Him- "It's a male and female."

Me- "Yes, they should really only be put together when they're breeding, and under close supervision. They will kill each other."

Him- "Okay, thanks."

Then he walked away with both to the cash register. Argh!!

Side note, I got this guy last night, and he's been amusing me.

snail_question.jpg

And The Females Weren't Females!
Well, that's not true...some of them were.
They were chasing everyone a bit, and getting along so so. I imagine they were siblings.
his white turned to a bluish green
he would've only been $2.99 since they thought he was a female
this is starting to sound a lot like a recent night out in manchester *shudders at memorys*

its how i got rayne yesterday. i am starting to suspect none of the fish in that tank were females. but rayne my new baby boy was getting picked on by all the other "female" bettas. they were all younger of smaller looking then my full grown boy livingston, so i guess i sort of understand. it had me fooled too until i put the picture here.
alas all is good i got a new betta for 2 dollers off because the guy didn't care to look up the price :p

The girl at my local LFS is pretty hopeless too. At first I thought it was just because she was new...2 months later, she is still the same, if not worse :lol:

Oh, and I just wanted to say...

I wish our bettas were $2.99

The cheapest I could find was $11.60!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back