I Want To Set Up A Mixed Amphibian/fish Aquarium

fredgarvin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was thinking of making a hybrid aquarium (Amphibians & fish) out of a 10 gallon tank. I thought I might have a slate shelf about 5in wide by a foot long protrude above the water line as a refuge for some frogs and or newts. I think I could attach "legs" of rectangular slate with aquarium cemet to the underside and leave the tank 2/3 full for some fishies. Any advice, comments, insults? Posted this under "Hardwear" too. Have successfully kept 2 kinds of newts and African Aquatic frogs. Experienced aquarist but a total newbie to the forum.

I was thinking of making a hybrid aquarium (Amphibians & fish) out of a 10 gallon tank. I thought I might have a slate shelf about 5in wide by a foot long protrude above the water line as a refuge for some frogs and or newts. I think I could attach "legs" of rectangular slate with aquarium cemet to the underside and leave the tank 2/3 full for some fishies. Any advice, comments, insults? Posted this under "Hardwear" too. Have successfully kept 2 kinds of newts and African Aquatic frogs. Experienced aquarist but a total newbie to the forum.
I think that your idea for a setup is a wonderful idea but if you want to put newts frogs and fish together the tank might be crowded, as a rule of thumb one inch of fish for every gallon, so make sure you measure how many gallons of water you put in the tank. I have some platies and would recomend them for any tank, although i have five new baby platies they are hardy fish, will eat anything, and are very peaceful community fish. You could always instead of glueing a platform for the frogs and newts you could make a sort of vivarium and slope a hill of rocks that are out of the water

well what ur talking about is called plaudarium i think and I made one this sommer and the best way to go about doing this would be
take the wideth or length of your tank in plexiglass, get some fish safe silicone and silicone some rocks or pebbles to it then place it in the aquarium so there it is divided 1/3 land and 2/3 water then take your gravel or sand and fill up the side of land then put your gravel in the part of water
for plants you could have moss or that, but make sure you dont take it from your garden or such, but if you do make sure there are no creepy crawlies
for fish I would say zebra danios or guppies would be best and you should go with newts or frogs

I have seen hudge ones of these that have had a amazing range of animals including
anoles, tree frogs, snakes, turtles, and many other little animals
vines are good plants along with ferns :good:

well what ur talking about is called plaudarium i think and I made one this sommer and the best way to go about doing this would be
take the wideth or length of your tank, get some fish safe silicone and silicone some rocks or pebbles to it then place it in the aquarium so there it is divided 1/3 land and 2/3 water then take your gravel or sand and fill up the side of land then put your gravel in the part of water
for plants you could have moss or that, but make sure you dont take it from your garden or such, but if you do make sure there are no creepy crawlies
for fish I would say zebra danios or guppies would be best and you should go with newts or frogs

I have seen hudge ones of these that have had a amazing range of animals including
anoles, tree frogs, snakes, turtles, and many other little animals
vines are good plants along with ferns :good:
i agree because guppies and danios are very hardy fish and wouldn't bother the frogs or newts

You have to think of the water quality.

Amphibians by and large require a very narrow set of water parameters, both species of fish suggested are not suitable.

You would be best choosing either newts and fish or frogs and fish and making a softwater lower ph setup (no lower than pH 6.5 though.)

A 10 gallon is very small to attempt this in, if you have something bigger, all the better. Otherwise you could perhaps research into something like oriental firebellied newts and White cloud mountain minnows or dwarf congo frogs and a very small species of characin.

Either way very careful planning is needed. :good:
Lotte***

its a very good idea, sadly your tank is way too small for it! Frogs and Newts, don't need dry land, all they need is somewhere to get their heads out of the water, a plant leaf will do. by enlarge frogs and newts need still water, both are often kept without filters to reduce flow. finally if you are looking at firebelly newts, well most really, they need a tank temp too low for most fish and frogs, about 62-70f.

now if you get a couple of redcrab, and add some sand and a little brackish bath to the ledge, and a ladder system for them to climb, will love it. you could pop a couple of fish in too, mid or to swimmers.

the plaudarium someone mentioned is a fantastic idea, but if you split your tank into 1/3 water ans 2/3 land, there will be no room for fish, the amount of water being so small. these are great for crabs, well any land critter that needs access to water. but as i have said, frogs and newts don't need land, making it of little use to you.

You have to think of the water quality.

Amphibians by and large require a very narrow set of water parameters, both species of fish suggested are not suitable.

You would be best choosing either newts and fish or frogs and fish and making a softwater lower ph setup (no lower than pH 6.5 though.)

A 10 gallon is very small to attempt this in, if you have something bigger, all the better. Otherwise you could perhaps research into something like oriental firebellied newts and White cloud mountain minnows or dwarf congo frogs and a very small species of characin.

Either way very careful planning is needed. :good:
Lotte***

Lotte, hope you know a little about firebellies. I had a firebellie years ago but he was a lot of trouble. He insisted on live food and he wasn't too concerned about hunting for it. When i could, I fed him live bloodworms and he ate just fine. But, these aren't always available. I would, as an alternaive, feed him live earthworms, after they had somewhat purified themselves in amonst my house plants. (No groth chems) His slow and ponderous feeding habits precluded the addition of any other creatures and he had a 10 gallon tank to himself. I was wondering whether he would be easier to feed when he was out of the water or do they only feed whilst submerged? Just one of many questions I have on this topic. Thanx.

Lotte, hope you know a little about firebellies. I had a firebellie years ago but he was a lot of trouble. He insisted on live food and he wasn't too concerned about hunting for it. When i could, I fed him live bloodworms and he ate just fine. But, these aren't always available. I would, as an alternaive, feed him live earthworms, after they had somewhat purified themselves in amonst my house plants. (No groth chems) His slow and ponderous feeding habits precluded the addition of any other creatures and he had a 10 gallon tank to himself. I was wondering whether he would be easier to feed when he was out of the water or do they only feed whilst submerged? Just one of many questions I have on this topic. Thanx.
i have three firebellys now, they all eat frozen bloodworm, daphnia, or blackworm. they eat chopped up meal worms, though not too often. never tried them on live food, lol no need. they will go well with White cloud mountain minnows, as they both need lower than average temps, average for tropical that is, but again the newts do not need, nor will they use, the dry area suggested by the OP. the frogs may be ok but the temperature is too low for them in reality.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back