I Want Fish But Not Sure Which!

paulbr1

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Yorkshire
Hi, I have two tanks - one is new and cycling quite nicely.

In my original 50L I had an issue brough in by some guppies (anchor worm) Yuck!

I lost two silver Sharks 4" and most of my plec fry (had two lots of around 25 each) now only have ten left plus mum and dad. The problem is now clear thanks to TFF advice :rolleyes:

Anyhow, my new tank is 260L "22" high". I will be transfering maybe 4-5 plecs in there and wanted some advice on other fish.

I am fancying a couple of Angels and a shoal of small dudes maybe Neon Tets or similar, also I like the brightly coloured Discus but I'm not sure of compatibility.....

Any advice welcome.

Paul.
 
Hi, I have two tanks - one is new and cycling quite nicely.

In my original 50L I had an issue brough in by some guppies (anchor worm) Yuck!

I lost two silver Sharks 4" and most of my plec fry (had two lots of around 25 each) now only have ten left plus mum and dad. The problem is now clear thanks to TFF advice :rolleyes:

Anyhow, my new tank is 260L "22" high". I will be transfering maybe 4-5 plecs in there and wanted some advice on other fish.

I am fancying a couple of Angels and a shoal of small dudes maybe Neon Tets or similar, also I like the brightly coloured Discus but I'm not sure of compatibility.....

Any advice welcome.

Paul.

Angels and discus are not advised together i think agression is the reason but some will correct me if im wrong :). Neons may well be food for the angels once the angels are big enough but a bigger fish like barbs etc would be quite nice.
 
Hmm. could be an issue as the wife says half the tank is hers and she wants Angels - dont get me wrong I too like Angels but I don't want them beating all the other fish up!

But I have probably three to four weeks to decide as my cycle is 13days and going well.

Paul.
 
Hmm. could be an issue as the wife says half the tank is hers and she wants Angels - dont get me wrong I too like Angels but I don't want them beating all the other fish up!

But I have probably three to four weeks to decide as my cycle is 13days and going well.

Paul.


LOL, im lucky that my other half has no real interest so i stock how i want :).

Angels can be aggressive but with the right tank mates there an absolutley stunning centre piece fish :)
 
Hi, I recently had a problem with a shoal of 10 Neon Tetra bullying my other bottom feeders in the tank!

I used to love Neon's and also Golden Barbs, but they have not fared well in my comminuty tanks, I've been fish keeping for about 12 years and every time I've had a small shoal of barbs or tetras they seem to get power-mad and fin nip even whens there's tons of room. :blink:

I'm sticking to loaches and a small catfish at the mo! LOL

Pudding
 
i believe the main problem with keeping angels and discus together is that the angels carry intestianl worms which don't bother them hovever they would bother the discus, but i think if you worm the angels every month or so it should be ok, thats just what ive read in pfk tho.

Tom
 
discus with cardinals, and maybe some corydoras thats what igot :) looks great!!!
 
If you want angelfish, you won't be able to keep any very small fish like neon tetras, as the angelfish will eat them. The tank is large enough that you could have a decent sized school of some larger schooling fish, like diamond or congo tetras, rosy barbs, or maybe tiger barbs. You could also consider platys, which don't school but move around through the tank. They are very colourful, very active, and will live with anything, they are among the most peaceful fish available.
 
Thanks everyone, I am still looking and found a good site with loads of easily viewable and decent pics.

Any more ideas would be great - I am liking Discus and African Cychlids (various) but again I have a good few weeks yet.

Just hope when I do stock that none of them bring any unwanted presents!! (been there done that)

Paul.
 
Would it be possible to put a divider in, with gaps just large enough at the bottom to let the Plecs move as they please? If so, you could have plecs with access to both sides, Angels on one side and discus on the other. (provided you worm on a regular basis)

Maybe leave holes in the divider big enough for the barbs too, so they can go both sides.
 
Never thought of that one, are worms an issue all of the time with Angels or can they be cleared?

I have had Angels in the past but didn't have/seem to have any issues, but I do like Discus mainly because of their bright colours and size.

I want to have a colourful tank and fish at several levels - hence the research.

Divider sounds good
 
I have an angel fish in my community set up with neons and blue tetra's, but the angel fish was tiny when I first got it, I've had it about 4 months now and all seems very peaceful, but the neon's and blues are quite big now, they've kind of all grown up together. But it could be I have a very peaceful angel, it's about 3" now, so a fairly good size. Must admit as a centre piece fish they are beautiful and great characters. It's a real hungry nose and comes straight to the front of the tank, especially for the once a fortnight live bloodworm feast!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top