I Want A Marine Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liv15

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have an interpet fish-pod 48L tank and I would really like to have a small marine tank. So can I convert this tank to marine? (Google the tank if you don't know what it is)

I have an interpet 48L which is set up as a tropical which is kind of irrelevant.  I have seen another one of these in a LFS that was set up as a marine tank and they had a load of live rock a few shrimp and some fish in it but they did say that its quite difficult to maintain due to the small amount of water and the possibility of drastic changes in parameters.  It is certainly possible but I guess just more work keeping up with the correct water parameters.

I usually recommend 50 gallons for a new marine aquarist. Your tank is a bout 12 gallons. However, if you are just going to have fish, no corals, you can do it much like you do a regular tropical tank, with an HOB filter, and frequent water changes. The most important thing in a marine tank that small is to manage evaporation so I definitely recommend an auto top off unit. As the water evaporates the salinity goes up. In a tank that small just a small amount can mean quite a raise. Because of this you top off the tank with FW. An ATO does this for you using a float switch and a pump so the tank is always at the right level. All you have to do is keep the reservoir filled up.

Most marine fish we keep are tropical fish so temperature will be the same, around 78 degrees or so. If you pick a hardy fish your chances of success are good. For a tank that small you are limited though in the fish you can keep. For me a single fish, like a yellow watchman goby with a pistol shrimp is the way to go.
Of course there are other option but with this pair you get a lot of entertainment with a very small bioload.

Most reactions

trending

Back