I want a betta, but

DogFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My head is swimming with information overload. I want a betta, but my big problem is my house is too cool , so I need to put a heater in a tank. PetSmart people told me I couldnā€™t put any heater into an acrylic tank, but my local aquarium store has assured me that I can put this heater:
Visitherm 25 watt heater (Marineland brand) ($33-yikes)
Big Als Online
into a 2.5 gal mini bow ( or other 2.5 gal I assume) and that it can be easily set up so that it wonā€™t melt the acrylic by the proper placement of the brackets holding the heater to the tank.
However, I have read at www.bettatalk.com and in a book I purchased that you shouldnā€™t put a heater in anything smaller than a 10 gal tank.
I have also seen at PetSmart a Marineland brand 25watt heater 6ā€ that is temperature adjustable for half the price of the Visitherm. But reading the packaging, it doesnā€™t have the performance guarantees that the Visitherm does

I also saw in one of your threads this suggestion:
ā€œGet the Marina Betta Kit by Hagen. I recommend it. Filtration is not necessary. Just do a 50% water change twice a week. A turkey baster should be sufficient for siphoning out the chunky waste. There is a light that can be purchased for the betta kit, it will help keep the tank temperature stable and warm.ā€

Our house temperature fluctuates from 19C (66F) at night to a max of 21C (70F) during the day. Sometimes the sun makes the house warmer, but in general we have a cool house.
Would the 7W light on the betta kit keep the betta warm enough? That would be wonderful, the price would be right and I could go get a Betta soon! (The local aquarium shop has beautiful bettas and they get a shipment every Wednesday (thatā€™s in two days!)

Or, should I go for the Visitherm heater, and the 2.5 gal acrylic tank?

I have looked at WalMart , PetSmart, SuperPet and Big Als Aquarium services, and found 2 gal tanks with a bio-wheel filter, tanks with an undergravel filter, tanks with a 15 watt light, or a 25 watt incandescent bulb, and a Marineland Eclipse Explorer 2 gallon with 3 stage filtration!!! (no light though).

I want a light because the tank will sit on my kitchen counter in a somewhat dark spot, but the PetSmart person said the Betta wonā€™t like the light on all the time, or to change it to a coloured light.
Any helpful suggestions re heat in what tank would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to ramble on, but all the info in my head spilled out my fingertips. :S

Well, as far as I know, betta's have no probelm with lights being on for the correct amount of time. And that Hagen Betta kit is a good kit. I don't have any first hand experience with it...but a lot of people on here say they are great. Is it possible to place the betta in the warmest spot possible in your house? The light should provide enough warmth during the day, maybe at night you can wrap a warm towel around him and then remove it in the morning. Just a thought.

Let us know what you decide.

Tiff

I have a 25W 6" heater made by Hagen in both of my 2.25 Pals Pen acrylic aquariums and they're doing fine. They cost $15.99 at PetSmart ($19.99 at a local lfs). They have suction cups to hold then to the side of the tank, but the heater itself doesn't touch the wall, so I don't see a problem.

Linda

Excellent! Thank you all very much. I tracked down a Marineland 25 watt heater today that is much more reasonably priced than the Visitherm. I have a couple more question that I shall put in another thread.

Most reactions

Back