I Think My Female Guppy Is Sick

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I think she's had them in the night. Her gravid spot is now a browny colour instead of black and she's looking a bit slimmer. Can't find no fry though so they're either hiding in the plants or became a midnight snack

I think she's had them in the night. Her gravid spot is now a browny colour instead of black and she's looking a bit slimmer. Can't find no fry though so they're either hiding in the plants or became a midnight snack
Lol, well, at least she didn't overrun you with fry this time.

well it now looks like my other female is poorly. She's been getting thinner for a while, although I have seen her eat. This morning I've got up and put the tank lights on and she's gone really pale - so pale I can see right through her. Her normally black tail has gone grey and she's just sitting at the top looking sad. The other female keeps going over to her and swimming next to her for a while before swimming off again.

Personally I think she's showing her age and is probably dying slowly. She will be about a year old now. I'd appreciate any advice though.

It's a fully cycled tank so no water issues to consider

well it now looks like my other female is poorly. She's been getting thinner for a while, although I have seen her eat. This morning I've got up and put the tank lights on and she's gone really pale - so pale I can see right through her. Her normally black tail has gone grey and she's just sitting at the top looking sad. The other female keeps going over to her and swimming next to her for a while before swimming off again.

Personally I think she's showing her age and is probably dying slowly. She will be about a year old now. I'd appreciate any advice though.

It's a fully cycled tank so no water issues to consider
Some of my guppy females used to sit in a corner until they died at around 1.5 years, they flipped to the side and died floating. That within a day or two of showing unusual behavior.
But having had no filter then, I cannot tell exactly if it was old age or something else, as my males managed to almost reach 3 years.

Even if cycled, check the ammo, nitrite and nitrate to make sure there haven't been disturbances or if there's an overload of nitrate.

came home from work to find her dead tonight :(

I must have got it wrong again!! She's dropping as I type. I've rescued just 2 just before they were about to get eaten. I've put her in the trap ... I just can't deal with watching them being born and eaten immediately. I'm just too soft today :-(

I must have got it wrong again!! She's dropping as I type. I've rescued just 2 just before they were about to get eaten. I've put her in the trap ... I just can't deal with watching them being born and eaten immediately. I'm just too soft today :-(
I've only saved a few, as I know I won't be able to take care of all of them anyway and I'd probably see them struggle like the others did to get past their 1st week.
At least 1 I am pretty sure is a male out of the 2 I have left.

And my female swordie will drop probably within 1-2 weeks. She's getting squared off again, but she seems to have taken a liking to the male. o_O She now actually allows him to follow her and he's no longer bugging her. They do argue when I add new rocks though.

How many guppies do you have now? (fry included).

just a male and female adult and I've lost count of babies. Mummy guppy is back in the main tank now. She was getting stressed and stopped dropping anymore fry so I've put her back. If I find anymore it'll be through luck

just a male and female adult and I've lost count of babies. Mummy guppy is back in the main tank now. She was getting stressed and stopped dropping anymore fry so I've put her back. If I find anymore it'll be through luck
Wow, I've never had that many guppy fry to lose count of them o_O And I've had countless adult females among my colonies.
Some were eaten over night, but those that were saved by my catfishes that sat over them were in about 15-20 amounts.
Last generation was made of 20 fry, lost half of them, the other half made it to adulthood but females never got pregnant so when they got old, that was the end of it.

well I've now spent the last 4 hours playing midwife. She's probably had around 30-40 fry in the last 4 hours. I think it's been more grueling for me than it has for her!! I tried the trap, she just got way too stressed so I've spent the last 4 hours knelt on the floor in front of the tank netting out babies as they were being born! Boy do my legs hurt now!

It's a trip to the lfs for me now tomorrow!!

I just hope she's now too old to have anymore but looking at her there's still more to come as her gravid spot is still black.

:hyper:

well I've now spent the last 4 hours playing midwife. She's probably had around 30-40 fry in the last 4 hours. I think it's been more grueling for me than it has for her!! I tried the trap, she just got way too stressed so I've spent the last 4 hours knelt on the floor in front of the tank netting out babies as they were being born! Boy do my legs hurt now!

It's a trip to the lfs for me now tomorrow!!

I just hope she's now too old to have anymore but looking at her there's still more to come as her gravid spot is still black.

:hyper:
Lol that was me on spring cleaning day, when Bee started birthing (probably due to stress when the whole tank was moved across the room with all the fish in it)
Was netting fry, but was so scared that I might hurt them, because some of them were sitting flat over the sand, one was next to the catfish, my male swordie was chasing some of the more agile fry... it was a disaster! For 2 more fry I've moved my swordie female to a bowl and then when she finished, I moved her back. One of the bowl-born ones is Pinky, Ninja is that tiny fry I've scooped off the sand.

When Guppy females are too old, they also die though... :( They don't live long after they stop (at least not for me).

the bloody male guppy is harressing her already!! He's older than she is! I mean surely he must be past it by now :lol:

the bloody male guppy is harressing her already!! He's older than she is! I mean surely he must be past it by now :lol:
o_O Lol old timer chasing middle-aged female... Fish can be weird X)) from a human point of view though.
My swordie male seems to have given the female a break though. He seems to no longer be chasing her, now he's looking at the decor and stuff, grazing... other things seem to be in his mind. Only sometimes he courts her but she just turns away from him, as usual. LOL.

Most reactions

Back