I Think My Betta Has Fin Rot?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blitz

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So.. okay okay. My stupid fault for playing the darn carnival games a bringing home something I didnt need to have(my parents weren't there, only my friends and I). 

So the betta came in like a .5 gallon container :/ It's HORRIBLE. I've had it for a week but didn't get a chance to go to the pet store and explain to my mom it needs like a 5 gallon. Anyways, I've been feeding it very little and watching. The food just sinks to the bottom and for a week I've never seen it take a bite. >_< 
Somtimes I see the betta swim around. But when its still, I look closely at it's fins and it looks like at the ends there's a little "clear" part to the fin that deoesn't look normal... 
*I don't have any other tanks (I quite with fish a couple years ago) 
*So therefor I don't have any more equipment 
*Nope, no one I know knows properly have to care for a betta

And yes, I do know the needs of a betta (tank/temp and all) 

So does the clearish/ripped-ish tips of the fins mean fit rot? It's not a lot... but I noticed it. And yeah.... my bad for playing the game...

I'll post a pic tomorrow. Goodnight :* 

And I change the water everyday because it gets a dirty tint in the water if I leave it longer. 

the ends of the fins even if it is clean does not mean it could be fin rot, it could be the actual colour of the fish.. 
if you google what fin rot looks like then you'll have a better idea... the fin will be write at the tips and splitting.

when you get the tank with the filter, heater etc, remember to filter it.. you'll be doing a fish in cycle and will need water changes

on this site has lots of info on how to do a fish in cycle.

First off...shame on you.  
rolleyes.gif
   LOL   Second, in that small of a container you need to be doing at least twice daily 100% water changes to keep the water some what safe for the fish.  Just because the water is clear does not mean that it is clean.  I would feed him once every two or three days in a tank that small as well.  It might take him a while to start eating especially if the water is cool.  Clear clean edges normal signify regrowth of the fin and not rot.  He probably is regrowing his fins from damage that has happened to them previously.  If the fin edges look like they are melting or deteriorating then you should start to worry about fin rot.  

Hopefully you will be able to get him a tank of at least 2.5 gallons and a heater set to 78F at least soon so you shouldn't have to worry about fin rot. 

I have a 2.5g filter. It runs on an airpump... but the pump must have died. It still makes a vibrating noise but theres no bubbles coming out from the end of the airline tube. So.. I put the fishy in a bucket. Yes, I washed out the bucket. For now he'll have to live like this until I can talk to my mom about a tank.

...I forgot how to add pictures from photobucket onto here :/

download1_zpsfdf691e9.jpg
download_zps398d3acd.jpg
oops, there I got it! The buckets about 2/3's full. 

He'll have more room in the bucket if it's bigger than his 0.5 gallon container, but you ought to cover it so that he doesn't jump out even though it's only 2/3 full - bettas are very good jumpers when they want to be. I'd keep up with those w/c's and try to get a small filter and tank etc set up as soon as you can. They can't be too much for a basic kit from walmart or petsmart.

The clear parts at the end of his fins may or may not be fin rot - any pictures of this?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back