I swear I can't understand Petco!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

a single pet store that is family owned instead of a chain of pet stores like Petco or Petsmart
The problem is that, in especially smaller communities, these small stores just can't compete with the big chains. In my opinion this is really sad.

These big chains get the cheapest fish they can to be able to sell cheap and put the smaller private stores out of business. One of the saddest things is that, after they have put the private stores out of business, their prices are likely to rise as they no longer have any competition. For instance I have a cockatiel that I feed a Kaytee seed mix. If I go to the local Petco here a 5 pound bag of the mix would cost me ~$16.00 USD. Fortunately the grocery store I use happens to carry the exact same product for ~$8.00 USD.

I'm fortunate enough to have a fish warehouse, Dan's Fish, for selling mail order right next to my apartments that has an extremely high positive reputation so except for one fish that they didn't have in stock I've avoided shipping costs. It is just really sad that I'd have to drive a minimum or 130-150 miles to even find the possibility of a private store.

I understand petco just fine - wait for 50% sale; buy tank. When tank cracks down the middle - don't wait for sale - get immediate replacement so you can move fish from floor back into tank. That is petco ;)
98% of my tanks have been from Petco 1$/gallon sale or 50% off a 75 gallon. The others were either from a fish club member, craigslist or ArseAdventutes. Never had a tank crack due to poor manufacturing.

I am eternally sad that they bought out Drs Foster & Smith (.com) as they had the absolute best prices and selection for all pet needs. :no:

a single pet store that is family owned instead of a chain of pet stores like Petco or Petsmart
I was just being a wise arse. I’ve lived in populated areas all my life where there were plenty of mom and pop fish stores, they have vanished, the interest is not there as there once was in fishkeeping, the few that I have seen lately are simply asking a lot of money for their stock. The petco in my area has gone from very good to very bad.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back