I swear I can't understand Petco!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dan's fish is insanely expensive I checked earlier today... Yikes
Ya they are not cheap but they also don't buy from fish farms. They seem to get their fish from private breeders. Also they are my cheapest option as, being right next to me, I don't pay shipping. Take my rope, the fish cost $26.00 but the shipping was almost $50.00. Even if I had to pay Dan's for shipping it would have been $10.00 less than what I had to pay so would have made up for the higher fish cost.

You can't just look at the cost of the fish. You also need to consider the quality of the fish and figure in shipping as part of the total cost.

As an aside I really need to get with Dan's to see if I can see how they package their fish as I've never seen this before. My rope came in a twisted and rubber-band bag like you would expect from a fish store. The cichlids and Pandas I got from Dan's were in a sort of plastic bag but they were obviously heat sealed with the air obviously under some pressure.

Petco seems easy to understand. All these things they do add up to success as a corporation. They are doing really well, by all indicators.

Animals are just units to be moved, and they are moving them, and moving the support equipment they need (or in some cases, don't need).

Pet mills? if this is the case, they buy cheap, sell high. Guppy mills? Absolutely. Producers in Asia have to meet their price because of their buying power, or else. Corners have to be cut to do that, and we wonder why so many fish die soon after arrival. That's okay, People buy more.
Technically, if we don't live in rural areas, we should have options, even if they are a bit inconvenient. If not, we'd best support the people who try to offer them.
i live in a town of 2000 people. local petco is the only one for 3 hours either north or south. luckily it has a good veterinarian. a hamster got a broken leg during shipping to the store and it was treated right away.
perhaps not the kindest shipping standards?

Petco seems easy to understand. All these things they do add up to success as a corporation. They are doing really well, by all indicators.

Animals are just units to be moved, and they are moving them, and moving the support equipment they need (or in some cases, don't need).

Pet mills? if this is the case, they buy cheap, sell high. Guppy mills? Absolutely. Producers in Asia have to meet their price because of their buying power, or else. Corners have to be cut to do that, and we wonder why so many fish die soon after arrival. That's okay, People buy more.
Technically, if we don't live in rural areas, we should have options, even if they are a bit inconvenient. If not, we'd best support the people who try to offer them.
not sure support is the word i use - tolerate by necessity would be more like it.

I understand petco just fine - wait for 50% sale; buy tank. When tank cracks down the middle - don't wait for sale - get immediate replacement so you can move fish from floor back into tank. That is petco ;)

I understand petco just fine - wait for 50% sale; buy tank. When tank cracks down the middle - don't wait for sale - get immediate replacement so you can move fish from floor back into tank. That is petco ;)
Their tanks are that bad!?

😆

Gambling is very big these days. If we bought 2 tanks, one from Pertco, one from walmart, and put them on a table filled, would people take bets on which split first?

I do wish I could access those dollar a gallon on tens though.

I got my tanks from there. The only issue I ever had, I'm pretty sure I caused myself. And they happily replaced it anyways.
Oh ok. So it was kinda like a one time freak accident. That's good to know lol.

Oh ok. So it was kinda like a one time freak accident. That's good to know lol.
I'm not sure. I got a tank from them and put it into storage until I was ready to set it up. Once I put it on the stand, I saw a small crack in it. It could very well have been my fault for all I know. I had gotten it on sale from Petco. I was sweating it because I was worried not only about losing the money I spent on the tank but having to shill out the money to get another. But the Petco employees couldn't have been cooler about it.

i do live in rural town of 200

i do live in a rural town of 2000. the store manager at local Petco might be the problem. he was sent back for updated training. i got this info from the store veterinarian.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back