I set up my tank with a UGF

Phreaxer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know this is probaly a retard question, but I added a UGF to my 10 gallon tank this weekend, and I dont seem to see a change... It was a long process... removing water, then the fish, then more water, then the gravel, then cleaning the glass a little, then assembling the filter, then inserting it in the tank, then adding the gravel back, then adding old water, adn new water, and conditioner, and then more old water, and the fish, then more water.... The fish are fine and didnt see to have that bad of a vacation.. :p However, the water is murky. I thought it was due to me not cleaning the gravel (read not to) and it would settle... it still is pretty murky... any reasoning you could think of... Also there were no instructions with my UGF so I have two tubes, but I dont know how to use the second one... I have one running off of a pump that is made for a 20 gallon tank... more air is better than less air right? -_-

well the under gravel filter is supposed to filter the water. the bubble push up and they then drag the waterup thus makeing more water come in behind it from under the gravel then it sucks more water thru the gravel and the gravel filters out the fish waste. this is how the filter works

edit : if you have a more powerfull pump then perhaps you could get a splitter for the air line and put an air stone in each uplift tube the reason it might not be working to well might be the water is just going donw one uplift tube and up the other (not thru the gravel like it should).

should the air be coming up the same tube that it is going down? or should it be coming up through all the various holes in the grid under the gravel? Maybe that is the problem. I really expected at least instructions on how to set it up in the box.. I really just guessed. ;)

Hi Phreaxer

You should have an air stone in each tube/uplift. This then draws the water through the gravel, where the bacteria will break down the fish waste.

Hey Dolphin,

I do have an air stone, but I have 2 uplift tubes, and only a pump for one of them. I was wondering two things. What should I do with the other one. I like the idea of splitting the air supply (I have a 20 gal pump for a 10 gal tank, so that works well) and the second part of that question was: The airstone should be where? at the bottom of the uplift tube or under the gravel? Sorry for the newbie question, but I just want my fish to be healthy and happy. Hence, why my cycling fish, are now my tank inhabitants. :D

ok the pump should be attached to the airline that in turn should be attached to the airstonethis airstone should be in the uplift tube just off the bottom so that the bubble go up the tube. if you have two uplift tubes you should have two airstones, one in each. to achive the one in each you will need to buy a airline splitter making one line into two. then your pump will work. as far as i can tell. its quite a difficult setup if your doing it the first time i can remeber when i was setting it up the first time good luck.

Ok, good, that is the way I have the first one setup. I will get the splitter and some more tube as soon as I can get to the store, probaly tomorrow evening. THanks!

one thing you could do is block off the other tube while you wait to get the splitter and the other air stone this way the tube will be more effective allthough perhaps seeing as its just a day the fish can wait.

I don't believe that the undergravel filter is actually filtering the fish waste, but rather just running oxygenated water over the bacterial cultures growing above or below the plates.

The direction that the powerhead flows (pushing or pulling water) apparently has some effect on where the majority of the bacterial colonies grow.

They don't filter the waste, at least to my knowledge, so it's very important to continue to use a gravel cleaner to suck the waste out the settles.

Most reactions

Back