I Really Do Have The Worst Luck Ever...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Llegmore

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've kept my own tanks for about 10 years now, and I've always been in the hobby as my family keep fish. As of now, I have 8 tanks: a 5 gallon, an 8 gallon, 3 10 gallons, a 35 gallon, a 45 gallon and a 75 gallon. Due to stress and anxiety, I've recently developed a weird type of hand eczema which is apparently triggered by getting your hands wet for long periods of time.
noexpression.gif
It's pretty tricky to keep fish without getting your hands wet.

As much as I enjoy my fish, I'm starting to think it's not worth it for the agonizing itch. I can kind of manage in my smaller tanks with gloves, but my 75 gallon is so deep that I have to go in up to my shoulder.

Ach ... of course I won't stop fish-keeping. It's my favourite hobby and I've spent way too much time and money on it to give up now. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems or if anyone had some advice. I'm thinking really really long surgical gloves or something.

you could try doing a custom shallow tank, like reefers have their tidal pool tanks. That way you wouldn't need shoulder length gloves and you can still have larger tanks

That's a good idea. I've just got so proud of my tank collection and I don't really want to get rid of any of them.
cry1.gif

I have eczema on my arms if I drink alcohol. So I have to weigh up whether I like wine over scratching................wine wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had to choose wine over fish.................fish win! , so double scratching!!!!!

Joking aside, E45 cream really helps. For me anyway, so I can keep up the wine tasting, and if it works for you, you can continue the fish keeping
good.gif

Do you have anyone who would be willing to help with the bigger tanks?

My mum sometimes helps me with the 75 gallon, but I'm a bit of a control freak and the two of us generally make a LOT of mess.

E45 was great for eczema on my arms and legs when I was a kid, but the stuff on my hands seems to be made worse by any kind of moisture: cream, water etc. I take anti-histamine to stop the itching but sometimes it gets so bad I can't hold a pen - which makes studying tricky. I'm hoping that it'll all get better once my stress and anxiety subsides (i've left school now so it really should). The whole thing is just really frustrating because fish-keeping is usually my anti-stress activity.

I feel bad about it because I've definitely been cleaning the tanks less than normal.

Unusual reaction. I've got plenty of people with pompholyx who can get away with things like fishkeeping so long as they keep it well controlled in the first place. Make sure it's well controlled and kept that way and you may do well. Might mean a gap with the mother helping with the tanks for a while while it comes under control but it may be a redeemable situation. Have a chat with your doctor.

It's really strange. It's only become a problem over the last 6 months or so but it's definitely made worse by water. My doctor said I should quit fishkeeping.
confused.gif
I'm just going to hope it gets better soon. It's good to know that other people in the hobby manage with it.

Maybe you can use these long clear latex type gloves that covers your whole arm, up to your shoulders, vets use them.

Hope you know what I mean, not gonna explain what vets do with these gloves.........

lol

I have genuinely considered those. I'm not sure where I'd get any though.

Oooh cheers! I'll look into those when I have some spare cash. I'd never thought of ebay. As long as they haven't been used.
rofl.gif

Llegmore said:
Oooh cheers! I'll look into those when I have some spare cash. I'd never thought of ebay. As long as they haven't been used.
rofl.gif

sick.gif

Do u remove any water from your tank for regular cleaning. This way less water means shorter gloves.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back