I Need Ideas, Ideas & Ideas!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

theDutchess

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have decided that I would love to attemp selective breeding in some guppies but I obviously can't keep them all! What would I do with all of the fry that I don't plan to put into my 'breeding program'? Could I sell them on like aquabid, would they be worth anything? What could I do?

I would rather not (and can't) keep such a big fish... Sorry thanks for your input

Search and contact non chain pet stores in your area and ask if they could take a few every couple of months. Mine do. I have platies. But my local store will only take adults aka sellable platies. My platies take a good 4-5 months to reach the size they want so keep that in mind. I capture only about 6 fry anytime that I can fit six more fish to grow to adult size.

Cool guys thank you! I'm almost thinking that I may for a little while make the fry do the whole 'survival of the fittest' thing... Is this a good Idea? Just wait untill there is like 5 or so left then out them into a grow out tank

That's a good idea. It will ensure the healthiest of stock. It also makes feeding and cleaning t ime much easier since you don't have to flood the tank with a million microscopic food bits to make sure a couple dozen fry eat. :3 start a thread in the journal section with pictures! Emphasis on the pictures! We love journals here in the livebearer section!

Ok I will thanks lolobunnz it may take a while untill I even get guppies... But when the time comes look for my journal! Lol

Well, if you're looking for certain, prettier guppies of the bunch that you want to keep, maybe keep them in a separate tank and let them grow, and I guess then you would sell the unwanted ones to some sort of site.  You can also give them to your LFS.

Easy then, when you're getting rid of the fish you don't want, look for signs like small size (relatively), crooked backs and other deformities, and lethargy; those you give away with the others.  Of course, if you have another tank, give the non-healthy ones to your other fish to eat, since you don't exactly want to give defectives to your LFS.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back