I need help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Not the best

Reaction score
My fish tank has a build up at the top of the tank above where the aeration stone is. Could anyone help me try to prevent it.

Those are likely just mineral deposits due to water composition and there isn’t anything you can do to prevent that. All aquariums will get that kind of build up. You can try turning the aerator down and if you can’t turn it down you can try knotting the line so that it slows the bubbles down.

DO NOT try to clean those deposits off with any sprays or cleaners as that would be detrimental to your fish. Use nothing but water and if against a glass top if you choose to try and scrape it. You could try scraping with a razor or something but if your top is acrylic you could end up scratching it up.

Those are likely just mineral deposits due to water composition and there isn’t anything you can do to prevent that. All aquariums will get that kind of build up. You can try turning the aerator down and if you can’t turn it down you can try knotting the line so that it slows the bubbles down.

DO NOT try to clean those deposits off with any sprays or cleaners as that would be detrimental to your fish. Use nothing but water and if against a glass top if you choose to try and scrape it. You could try scraping with a razor or something but if your top is acrylic you could end up scratching it up.
Thank you

What might help you keep it clean though is to wipe it daily with a clean cotton rag, like an old wash cloth or something. A paper towel might be more abrasive but you could use that too.

I've seen pepole put a plastic lid from a soup container through the air line to stop the spray from hitting the glass top. Lrb aquatics uses this in all of his tanks.
You take a plastic lid and poke a hole big enough to pass the airline trough it and it should float on top of the water deflecting the spray from the air stone stopping the mineral deposits from forming on the glass.

Most reactions

Back