I need help with aquarium Switcheroo

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

RunRedRunner

Reaction score
In my current set up I have 7 danios, 2 platies, 3 black neons, and a red tail shark. I would like to move them into a 20 gal tall, use current water out of the 36 gal tank along with sponge filter and maybe some other media from that tank. Then put new plants in a 10 gal as well as the put wisteria and dwarf hair grass after an algae dip.
What is the best way to move fish into the 20 gal without stressing them too much?
Algae dip, bleach, peroxide, which way and for how long?
Iā€™m painting as well adding a sump to the tank to hide all the gadgets and what not.
Thank you

Just bring over some water, filter, and some decor. Rinse the filter media with tank water only if it is very dirty.

As far as bleech, algea dip, and peroxide what are you referring to using that for?

Also, the red tail shark should be in a larger tank.

Why downgrade? Do you think a sump is worth it for a small tank?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I guess folks use a bleach or a peroxide solution to dip plants in to cleanse the plants of algae and or other pest.

I will eventually upgrade to a bigger tank. I plan on painting the back of my 36 gallon tank. Then take gravel out and replace with black diamond, easier for plants to grow through. Iā€™m redoing the aquascape. I plan on adding some acrylic or glass ledges about .5ā€ from the top to hold a glass top. I also will be moving the tank to a cooler room as well adding the sump. The 20 is just temporary.

Don't paint the back of your tank. Once it's painted it's a pain in the blank to change it. Just use an aquarium backing or coloured card and sticky tape it to the outside.

Got ya, I'd still recommend a larger tank to house the red tail shark permanently. Also, they can be aggressive and there is a high chance of it killing every one of the other fish.

I haven't had algae on plants that wasn't able to be removed by my fingers. Peroxide is safe for fish, so I'd think it would be ok for plants too.

I've been painting the back of my tanks for awhile and I don't regret it. Black is the way to go and I wouldn't want to change it, so I'm fine with something a little permanent.

The first tank I painted lasted about 10 years before it had to be redone. It came right off with a razor and I had a clean slate to work with. This time (along with another tank), I put a clear shelf liner over the back after the paint dried. We'll see if that helps it last longer.

Iā€™m going to paint the back of mine with privacy glass paint.

Iā€™m putting a lot of plants in my tank, maybe that will help the others hide.

It will be a few days before I can plant my plants. While the plants are sitting in the 10 gallon without substrate should I use any liquid fertz?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back