I Killed My Golden Sucking Loach............grrrrrrrrrrrr

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VeryFatbloke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd got a bit behind with my tank maintenance so decided, yesterday, to have a good clear up. Water change, good vacuum of the sand. trim the dead leaves from the plants etc. To help with this I decided to remove all of the ornaments and bogwood to make access to the sand easier. I have a Trigon 190.

So that's exactly what I did, having completed the maintenance I returned the bogwood and one of the ornaments to the tank but decided I would leave the resin mangrove root out so that I can add some more plants. My wife didn't want the root left in the kitchen so I decided to put it in the garage. Anyway as I was walking around to the garage I tipped the root and out fell my Golden Sucking Loach, very dead.........I was really upset and annoyed with myself for not checking that he had hidden in there, it wasn't his normal hiding place.

He was a real character in the tank and no bother to any of the other fish........

I am now a fish murderer.............. :no: :no: :no:

And just to make me feel worse my water parameters are perfect so he'd have been well happy in the tank.

One of my clown loach had a suicide mission, I nearly killed him twice! just like that. Then he disappeared one day after a water change even though I checked all the ornaments completely...........mystery!!!! :crazy:

I used to have a clown loach that insisted on trying to jam itself in to the bracket that my filter hung on. After releasing it 3 / 4 times I stuck some cork in there to keep it out. Was horrible no being able to see it and then spotting the little red tail poking out :blink:

........could have happened to any of us really.........

Did a tank change around two weeks ago.....knew one of my 4" BNs was in this ornament thingy........like pottery/plaster/china Roman Ruins.........could not get him out.......no matter what.......

he was the last fish left in the tank for two days......but he wouldn't come out no matter how much vegetation we left out (well, he came out when we couldn't see him).....but he then wedged himself in the thinnest part of this ornament.

...eventually we decided we would chip away at the back of the ornament until we could free him.......

.......we were really careful with it.....got it out.....placed it carefully so it didn't crack and injure him.................

....tapped it with a hammer........nothing........tapped harder.......nothing........banged it.........not a crack..........

...eventually made a tiny dent in the ornament......turns out it was fiberglass all along and we had been sooo precious about it.......

Unfortunately it was nearly indestructible so we put the Ornament and the BN in a bucket in the conservatory for two days..........he still didn't budge......by this time I thought he might be a gonner........so I took the ornament out and ended up banging it on the floor a few times to eventually dislodge him......

.......he was fine......swims about in the new tank like nothing happened.....

its terrible when something like that happens .you just feel sick!!! we killed one of our original yoyos by watching him trying to swim into our filter outlet....thinking oh he'll never do it!!!! until he did one night & died in there. we felt terrible :(
i also nearly bumped off our female mollie one day, used a jug to scoop out some tank water i was going to mix with a tonic to put back in, got the water in the jug, sat it on top of the tank got distracted by the phone & came back about 20 mins later to find miss mollie swimming around in a about an inch of water in the jug. oooooops.
she survived with no problems. i was lucky!
you obviously care about your fish & would have never meant to harm the poor guy. dont beat yourself up too much. accidents happen (unfortunately)

You have jinxed me :grr: I found mine dead today (shakes fist menacingly)

;) I don't blame you really VFB
:rip:

so I took the ornament out and ended up banging it on the floor a few times to eventually dislodge him......

Proper onitmental fish-logged-intheresodeepandhewontcomeout, Lesson one:
When in doubt, take it out and bang harder!

:lol:

my khuli loaches were always the escape artists but nothing had prepared me for what happened a while ago so anyway I was cleaning the tank and got all the ornaments out checking for the khulis no sign of them so I decided to check all of the sand nope hmmm were did they go so I thought they'll come out later so I'll just clean the hang on filter aaaaaa sweet jesus they got cremalised in the filter motor it was horrfic I didn't talk for days :-(

I am sorry for everyone, one of my YOYO loaches died in an atempt to go throug a hole between two stones (the hole was obviusly too small.

EDIT:pS: I just found out that this is my 30th reply and now I am supposed to be a Fis Fanatic (that's what it says).

Most reactions

trending

Back