Reaction score
As a result of rising nitrates I lost

Koran angelfish
Corel angelfish
Domino damsel
Yellow Gooby
Yellow Eye tang
Blue tang

I got the rest of my fish(yellow tang, clown fish & others) the hell out of my tank until my water is safe again

im just looking for sympathy haha

has this happen to any of you before???

Mercifully I have had no fish deaths yet... How high did your nitrates get? :crazy:

Koran angelfish
Corel angelfish
Domino damsel
Yellow Gooby
Yellow Eye tang
Blue tang

I got the rest of my fish(yellow tang, clown fish & others) the hell out of my tank until my water is safe again

Boarderline....just above 0....over $250(CA) in fish dead....and of course the damsels survive...rushed out and got a new skimmer, was waiting for a part, thought i could do without, but obviously not, i blame myself for this mess..lesson learned, will never happen again hopefully!

Well, nitrates of just above 0 were not what killed that many fish in that short time fram. You'd prolly need to see nitrates in excess of 80ppm before death would happen that quickly/massively. More likely something else was the cause. Ammonia, nitrites, pH, sg, disease, or some other unknown toxin but not nitrates :crazy:

Well, nitrates of just above 0 were not what killed that many fish in that short time fram. You'd prolly need to see nitrates in excess of 80ppm before death would happen that quickly/massively. More likely something else was the cause. Ammonia, nitrites, pH, sg, disease, or some other unknown toxin but not nitrates :crazy:

Im with you. Your fishes dieath was not caused by nitrates just over 0. fish only systems can reach 80ppm like Skifletch mentioned. You better check your other stats ASAP, unless that was a typo.

NItrates are not lethal in low levels to fish, i have seen LFS tanks with NItrates well off the scale of their test kits (and these test up to 100ppm :crazy: ).

Its more likely to be an ammonia or nitrite spike. How long has the tank been cycled and how much liverock are you using?

It is also possible that you have a parasite considering you have tangs listed. Oodinium can wipe a tank out in a matter of days.

Again...agree. SW fish can adapt and if nitrates crept up slowly, they can survive surprisingly high readings. Something obviously hit them fast and hard....? unseen death of an invert? coral toxin? a recycle? Let's us know if you get any other info. Sorry for your loss. SH

Can you give us some tank specs

(Size, how long it has been setup, etc.)

As said above Nitrates will not kill your fish, what were your fishes symptoms before death

Could be poisoning

I have 125 gallon tank, with 30 lbs of liverock. I know i should have a lb per gallon, but i couldnt afford it at the time. my lfs told me that i would be okay with 30 lbs.

Should i invest in more???

i just tested nitrite, it was 0ppm

im testing amonia right now

I have 125 gallon tank, with 30 lbs of liverock. I know i should have a lb per gallon, but i couldnt afford it at the time. my lfs told me that i would be okay with 30 lbs.

You are going to need a lot more liverock, WHAT is taking care of your Bio Filtration

30lbs enought - Your LFS needs Shot :grr: :grr: :grr:

I think you will find that you will get an Ammonia reading

IMO you have simply overloaded your system, to much livestock & to little biological filtration

I take it the tank is US Gallons

Do you have a filter? If youre trying to filter with LR only then you will not be OK with just 30 pds. The only problem now is since you have your tank stocked you will have to find and buy fully cured live rock so that there is not high amounts of die off when you put it into the tank.

Koran angelfish
Corel angelfish
Domino damsel
Yellow Gooby
Yellow Eye tang
Blue tang

My ammonia reading was 0.25

im using a canister filter

There's you killer, you should not have an ammonia reading in your tank after the initial cyle

Do you have a hospital/emergency tank - or where are you housing your livestock

You will need to address the lack of Bio filtrtaion issue, by adding at least another 30kg (60 ish lbs)

What is in the cannister & how often is it cleaned out

My remaining fish are at a friends in their tank.

The tanks been running for about 11 weeks or so.

Im using a Eheim Professional Canister filter, I have not cleaned it out yet. How often should I?

My remaining fish are at a friends in their tank.

The tanks been running for about 11 weeks or so.

Im using a Eheim Professional Canister filter, I have not cleaned it out yet. How often should I?

You have stocked WAY to quickly - did you tank cycle at all ??

The little amount of LR you had simply couldnt cope with the Biological strain that was being placed on it by your large qty of livestock, IMO even with the appropriate amount of LR your Livestock may have still struggled due to your quick stocking

As for the cannister - it depends whats in it

Also what is your flow rate (powerheads/streams etc.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back