I have a chance to get a huge tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gabe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, huge for me. It's my hubbys uncle, and he said it was 60 gallons. I just have to figure out where to put it(we are going to measure it today) and he only wants a couple hundred for it. There are a couple draw backs though. He has fish that would come with the tank. Not that I don't like his fish, but I really wanted to start fresh. But I'll deal with that and just hope that my fish will get used to his tank water, and no one dies. The second drawback is, I'll be using the money I planned on getting decorations with, to buy the tank. So for a while I won't be able to add any new hidey holes for fish(his tank doesn't have a lot in it). So, I'll have to see what I can do. Is there anything around the house that would be safe to put in? I know you all don't know what I have in my house, but suggestions would be good, and I can see if I can get my hands on it. I also read that someone put lego in thier tank, is this really safe? I have lots of lego that I could build something for the smaller fish to hide in. And how would I go about cleaning them? Thanks for any help!! I'm really pumped and want to get that tank over here asap lol

Gabe

Lego's will work. You could boil them to get any nasties off of them.

Also clay flower pots are great for fish caves. They are very cheap as well. I would not put used ones in the tank however, but for what they cost new you should be able to get like 5-8 for under $10.00 US!!

Plastic plumbing pipe is also a good choice. We can get it here in lengths of 10ft for under $10.00. Just cut it into short lengths and you have instant caves.

The clay pots and plastic pipe do not need to be boiled. Simply rinse it well under running water.

Hope this helps give you some ideas.

CM

What I've done is bought a clay flower pot broke it half then got some aquatic sealant and some gravel, I put the sealant on the flower pots quite thick inside and out only I did one side at a time then I put the gravel onto pot hey presto two gaves

I have a couple of plastic, mini slinkies in my tank and my fish love them. They swim through them, hide in them, and I can stick some food in there so my puffer and cories actually have a chance (I have four pigs with fins most people call platies in the tank with them) :lol: I just soaked and rinsed the slinkies in really hot water before they went in the tank.

Another question I have is, how do you clean a tank so big? How do you get enough declorinated water ready for it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Use a dechlorinator from the fs,a good one will dechlorinate 40l with a teaspoon of dechlorinator,larger tanks are actually easier to clean than small ones as you can cover much more ground with the gravel cleaner before you reach the ammount of water you are changing (10-20% of tank volume).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back