If you are reading this because u have BGA then perhaps I can give you some hope...This is not a magic cure but it does wrok in time...Sooooo...
I had BGA and about 4 months or so agao I did a blackout, BGA basically vanished but has slowly returned, not as bad as previously but still enough to spoil the look of the tank. My Phosphate level was very high at aroung 5 and Nitrate was around 40-60. I beleived that a low Nitrate was the cause of BGA so I did a PMDD dosing method to keep it high.
But the BGA continued... I decided to HEAVILY plant the tank, swords, giant vallis, crypts, some mosses, lots of fsat growing low light plants. Now these plant has been growing for approx 3 months now and are flourishing in the tank. But even when I had planted everything and 6-7 weeks later my phosphate was still at 5.
I did a 10% water change every week, my tap water is 5 phosphate. Anyway it has taken about 3 months or so and at last I see a reduction in phophate levels. Its now down to .5 - 1.0 and my Nitrate is lowering to 10-20.
Now I know my water change may not be enough to most people but my Discus and Apistogramma'a love the tanks, feed beefheart and bloods and daphinia and others, plants are blooming, even got pearling.
So my conclussion is simply, get lots of fast growing plants...get that Phophate level down, for me it was that that was causing my BGA, now its low BGA is gone....infact no algae at all.
Diy c02 too. Juwel 180L.
I had BGA and about 4 months or so agao I did a blackout, BGA basically vanished but has slowly returned, not as bad as previously but still enough to spoil the look of the tank. My Phosphate level was very high at aroung 5 and Nitrate was around 40-60. I beleived that a low Nitrate was the cause of BGA so I did a PMDD dosing method to keep it high.
But the BGA continued... I decided to HEAVILY plant the tank, swords, giant vallis, crypts, some mosses, lots of fsat growing low light plants. Now these plant has been growing for approx 3 months now and are flourishing in the tank. But even when I had planted everything and 6-7 weeks later my phosphate was still at 5.
I did a 10% water change every week, my tap water is 5 phosphate. Anyway it has taken about 3 months or so and at last I see a reduction in phophate levels. Its now down to .5 - 1.0 and my Nitrate is lowering to 10-20.
Now I know my water change may not be enough to most people but my Discus and Apistogramma'a love the tanks, feed beefheart and bloods and daphinia and others, plants are blooming, even got pearling.
So my conclussion is simply, get lots of fast growing plants...get that Phophate level down, for me it was that that was causing my BGA, now its low BGA is gone....infact no algae at all.
Diy c02 too. Juwel 180L.







