I Had An Algae Problem..

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppy621

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I had a bloom of algae. It nearly covered my walls. I have a 20 gal, planted aquarium with a few bloodfin and neon tetras, a fiddler crab, and an angelfish. I went to my local Petsmart and got a Rubber Lipped Plecostamus (suckerfish). Unlike the black ones he only around 4-5 inches (from what they have told me), which is VERY helpful since the black ones and most other can get anywhere between and over 1-2 feet. He is very adorable, a handsome guy. As soon as I put him in my tank he went to work and the next day it was almost completely clean! He is extremely efficient and convenient. He is one of my favorite fish and has a lot of character. I have now added a Dwarf Gourami, three Zebra Danios, an Ivory Mystery Snail, the Rubber Lip Pleco in question, and three Nerita snails. I am so happy with my beautiful aquarium!

Attachments

• rubber lip.jpg
    rubber lip.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 230
One of my favorite plecos!
They do like cooler temps and a bit of a current.

Really need to get rid of the Angel, They require a tank of at least 55Gallon and that it really needs to be deep. Also crabs and fish don't match, One day the crab might get moody and if you've seen those claws work, They can cut fish in half and I've seen some bad photos of it, Would rehome.

Also you have around 3 schools of fish, Again these need to be in group of 6 but doing so would overstock you again, Need to revise your fish stock if you want a healthy tank.

techen said:
Really need to get rid of the Angel, They require a tank of at least 55Gallon and that it really needs to be deep. Also crabs and fish don't match, One day the crab might get moody and if you've seen those claws work, They can cut fish in half and I've seen some bad photos of it, Would rehome.

Also you have around 3 schools of fish, Again these need to be in group of 6 but doing so would overstock you again, Need to revise your fish stock if you want a healthy tank.
I had concerns as well but my danios and tetras all group together in one colory school. My angel is very calm and friendly, and I will either be getting a larger tank, or if I stick with this one I will rehome him when he is bigger. My fiddler crab has plenty of privacy and likes the company of my pleco very much (they have little cubbyholes right next to eachother). Though the combination of fish I have may not always be compatible, this group is. they are very happy.
lrhodes said:
One of my favorite plecos!
They do like cooler temps and a bit of a current.
Thats good because I have a little cooler temp tank, and my filter (Whisper) gives out a nice current. He likes to lay just under it during the day. My tetras and angelfish like to play in the current sometimes xD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back