I give up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Maybe some duckweed or frogbit will reduce the light?
Yeah. I was thinking about going to my lfs and getting some salvinia.
Anyway, first check whether is there any reflection from the back or sides of the tank?
I suspect this could be the main reason unless your light is super bright.
LED light is very bright at the beginning but will become dimmer after a few months or years.
The light is 7 watts and the tank is 7 gallons. I see some one used one watt per gallon rule lol

Actually any floating plants can cover the top other than the Salvinia.
Your Anacharis can also be switched to floating plants.

Cut the light time down. I have one that comes up and flares at me every time I look at him. No big deal. I mean no offense by this but I believe you worry too much about your fish. If you let everything stress you out then raising fish isnā€™t an enjoyable and relaxing hobby for you. If the fish isnā€™t showing signs of stress, then perhaps he just likes to flare. Does he ever stop and rest? I let myself get so worried about ich on my fish that I was stressing them out. I finally gave up, covered them up, left the tank at 87F and walked away. I uncover it just long enough to vacuum the bottom each day and feed them. Guess what? They donā€™t need me. The ich is clearing up and we all are enjoying our days more. What Iā€™m saying is to just chill. He will stop flaring if he gets tired. Meantime, you can relax and watch a movie. Iā€™m taking my own advice here and hope you will too. :)

Cut the light time down. I have one that comes up and flares at me every time I look at him. No big deal. I mean no offense by this but I believe you worry too much about your fish. If you let everything stress you out then raising fish isnā€™t an enjoyable and relaxing hobby for you. If the fish isnā€™t showing signs of stress, then perhaps he just likes to flare. Does he ever stop and rest? I let myself get so worried about ich on my fish that I was stressing them out. I finally gave up, covered them up, left the tank at 87F and walked away. I uncover it just long enough to vacuum the bottom each day and feed them. Guess what? They donā€™t need me. The ich is clearing up and we all are enjoying our days more. What Iā€™m saying is to just chill. He will stop flaring if he gets tired. Meantime, you can relax and watch a movie. Iā€™m taking my own advice here and hope you will too. :)

I agree... I think some flare ups are good... Its like a form of exercise for the fish.... LOL

He does get some rest to lay (he never lays to get a nap, he never did). So I shouldn't really worry?

He does get some rest to lay (he never lays to get a nap, he never did). So I shouldn't really worry?

Yes, from my observation, Betta fish will rest once in a while but it will never sleep because it has to get up to the top/surface to breathe. So, its ok.

I heard from my colleague recently that many years ago they used to have Betta bettings. They would let the Bettas fight and they would place bet on the Betta.
It's actually crue to let them fight.
Then he told me that the owner would have to train the Betta's stamina before the fights.
One of the method to build up the Betta's stamina is by putting the male and the female together. The male would chase the female around the tank.
He said by doing that, it would build up the male Betta stamina. It's another crazy idea though it might work.
So, I guess your Betta flare up is ok.. It just need some exercises....LOL

My Betta sleeps in my Tiki head ornament. And whenever I've checked on him during the night.. he is nowhere to be seen..so he has to be sleeping in the ornament.
2693808-center-1

Last edited:
LED light is very bright at the beginning but will become dimmer after a few months or years.

A poor quality light might dime over time. But a decent quality one will last a long time with no noticeable dimming.

The best way to dim a light is to detach it from the tank (if possible) and increase the distance between the light and the surface of the water. Or to place something between the light and the water to block some of it. However do not use anything that can burn. and you want to make sure it never touches the light. A simple wire screen or sheet of translucent plastic will work.

My Betta sleeps in my Tiki head ornament. And whenever I've checked on him during the night.. he is nowhere to be seen..so he has to be sleeping in the ornament.
2693808-center-1
My betta has a skull decor and I'm seeing him sometimes swimming in or swimming out, and when he swims out, he makes the cutest face :wub:

When my Betta flares at me, I usually check the surface and find a bubble nest that heā€™s protecting.
I bought a dimmer on amazon to help with light brightness it has sunrise/sunset setting, as advised by another member, I will attach details.

Paper Against the glass also works as someone else has said, just stick some A4 sheets to the tank back and sides to see if it helps then u can invest in a piece thatā€™s made to fit.
5AD5A47E-4AE9-47E1-A291-3D4CAD0EA3B2.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back