I.d Please

chris..

Reaction score
killifish.jpg

Hi there. This is my 1st posting on the forum. I am just beginning with killifish after 22 years of keeping and breeding all the other tropicals. Until recently i was breeding malawi mbuna, but have decided to change over to plecs and killifish. I was hoping someone could I.D this fish for me and tell me wether is m/f and also what the differences are between the sexes. Thanks for any help. Chris.

I do have 2 of these. Both are approx 1.5". 1 of them has a wider dorsal fin and also has much more orange in the fins, could they be a m and f?

Hi Chris,
Yeah certainly looks like Aplo. panchax
Yours have a lot more orange around the unpaired fin edges, more that I've seen of late.
Pretty easy Killifish to breed and rear. Large eggs and large fry.
Regards
BigC

Cheers BIGC. Got them yesterday from maidenhead aquatics at bold heath. 2 for £6. I thought it was a bargain. Will they be ok in a 400ltr tank(juwel rio400), with some plecs(smaller ones), and a trio of golden wonders?

Should be Ok, Keep an eye on the golden wonders and see (as they grow) how they interact (fighting, bullying etc) I have never kept both species at the same time or together in the one tank and I dont know if they will cross breed given that they are both Aplochelius sp. (not recommended)
Best to keep observing.
Regards
BigC

As a rule you should not keep killi's in mixed tanks I'll always sugest to keep them in species tanks, but i know it's difficualt

Most reactions

Back