I Caught My Clown Loach Eating A Rummynose Tetra!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ey2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm not sure if other loach owners have witnessed this as I was in shock when I witnessed my 4" clown with a rummynose's had in his mouth. I went to turn the tank lights off for the night when I noticed the clown chewing on something. I found this strange as I last fed them 5 hours ago and they had finished all the frozen bloodworms and what he had in his mouth looked huge.

On closer inspection it was a rummynose's head, as can be distinguished by the red head. I counted the school of rummys and 1 had gone missing since today.

Tank details - 360L, tank established for 2.5 years.

Just tested water parameters - No ammonia, No nitrite, Nitrate 20ppm, pH 6.2.

I'm not sure if the rummy had already been dead when the clown was eating him, but it was a pretty disturbing sight as I never pictured clowns eating other fish. I think what caused the death of this rummy as well as the other one I found this morning was either the stress caused by the constant swimming and darting around from the clowns and yoyos, or the yoyos/clowns might have been nipping at the rummies.

As a precaution, (I wanted to post this message first to see what others thought but decided to go ahead in case there are more casualties) - I have moved (10) half the school of rummies to my smaller 90L tank. I was hesitant at the start as I thought the tank was too short (2') to house rummies since they need wide open spaces to swim, but then I thought better be safe than sorry so took a punt.

The 90L tank has been established for 3 years and has 5 neons, 5 black neons and 4 cories. My only concern is the pH shock on the rummys as the 300L tank pH is 6.2, while the 90L tank pH is 7.2. I did adjust the rummys over 1 hour, so hopefully it wont be too bad.

Could someone please advise if what I've done is the right thing or if there is anything I could have / could still do better for the rummynose tetras?

In the worst case scenario, I would have to give away the rummynose tetras and cardinals from my big tank, but I don't get why before I added 8 yoyo loaches last week, the school of rummynoses (24) and cardinals (18 were healthy and fine, yet starting dropping like flies once I added the yoyos.

I would guess that it was devouring a dead fish. Never heard of loaches eating live fish before, but ive only kept small loaches, not clowns.

having kept clowns in the past and currently i have never had any problems with them eating or hurting/hunting live fish although they will happily devour dead ones as will every other fish

yeah i had a german blue ram eating a "dying" rummy nose.. i dont think it would try eating a healthy one

i feel that the rummy was either dead or dying,any fish will snack on another vulnerable one,and rummies generally are very fast ,and i personaley have had clowns since i started and never seen them eat another fish, if all the others are fit and healty, put them back in, and any showing signs of stress ( pale noses) maybe leave in there- but then that is tricky as they like to shoal :/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back