I always get nasty bully fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Ok two of my geophagus are dead !! Unsurprisingly the big one is still at large , they were a group as geos are but something has happened and Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s down to the other geo in my tank my water is on point other everything is what it should be checked temp itā€™s firm at 27c , would a male kill other males to ensure the female is his to breed I donā€™t know , there deaths must be stress related as there were. No obvious damage to the fish , the two that are left is the largest one and the smallest one Iā€™m guessing male and female itā€™s just the smallest looks like she isnā€™t interested and seems stressed and looks like she is living in fear .. what do I do , @Wills

Ok two of my geophagus are dead !! Unsurprisingly the big one is still at large , they were a group as geos are but something has happened and Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s down to the other geo in my tank my water is on point other everything is what it should be checked temp itā€™s firm at 27c , would a male kill other males to ensure the female is his to breed I donā€™t know , there deaths must be stress related as there were. No obvious damage to the fish , the two that are left is the largest one and the smallest one Iā€™m guessing male and female itā€™s just the smallest looks like she isnā€™t interested and seems stressed and looks like she is living in fear .. what do I do , @Wills
Where they all at peace before?

It might be some sort of territorial act.

Where they all at peace before?

It might be some sort of territorial act.
So so for a group of cichlids yes they were getting on as well as I could expect but one has grew a lot faster than others did and started to bully them , Iā€™m thinking not so much territory as my key holes are half there size and would take much to evict them from there home they are second to only my eba so they get run of the territory really , it confuses me are geophagus are supposed to do better in groups than solitary

We have said before that there are a lot of cichlids in your tank. Iā€™m really surprised two have gone though without injury as well. Just because you have added fish recently are you 100% you are disease free? Did the dead fish have any white patches on them?

We have said before that there are a lot of cichlids in your tank. Iā€™m really surprised two have gone though without injury as well. Just because you have added fish recently are you 100% you are disease free? Did the dead fish have any white patches on them?
Im as sure as I can be thereā€™s no disease in there , there were no white patches no ripped fins no red gills , I almost thought they were just lying funny until they didnā€™t move for the net , I get tht there is a lot of cichlids in the tank but I honestly feared for the smaller keyholes and 1 inch sev rather than the geos , if not diseased which Iā€™m sure itā€™s not tht , could it just be simply over stocked and they are making room ?

They are all going to be pumping our hormones and electrical signals in territorial ways that will add to the stress but Iā€™ve never known it kill fish that quickly you can usually tell stressed cichlids with lots of bars and clamped fins but not seen these in your recent pics which is why Iā€™m wondering about disease - I had a really bad breakout of columnaris in my cichlid tank a few years ago and I lost a few fish before I knew what was going on I lost a chocolate cichlid and 4 geos and it was only one geo and the choc that showed the tell tale white patch on the top of the tail. But I donā€™t know if itā€™s safe to assume that for this tank it is disease and start dosing

They are all going to be pumping our hormones and electrical signals in territorial ways that will add to the stress but Iā€™ve never known it kill fish that quickly you can usually tell stressed cichlids with lots of bars and clamped fins but not seen these in your recent pics which is why Iā€™m wondering about disease - I had a really bad breakout of columnaris in my cichlid tank a few years ago and I lost a few fish before I knew what was going on I lost a chocolate cichlid and 4 geos and it was only one geo and the choc that showed the tell tale white patch on the top of the tail. But I donā€™t know if itā€™s safe to assume that for this tank it is disease and start dosing
Would dosing be safe even if thereā€™s nothing there , I often use my corys as a sign of something bad as they seem to drop like rain , non of my fish have any white patches , my eba have just laid eggs again, itā€™s my weekly water change tomorrow would you advise a 100% water change and deep clean of the substrate? I donā€™t want to over do it and cause a cycle .. only other thing I can think off is the night before they died I did feed them locust lave and it seem to be only the geos that ate them , would food outright kill them or just make them sick

These are the remaining two

Attachments

• 6F054BDC-C88A-43DF-94BE-1AACECC8304F.jpeg
    6F054BDC-C88A-43DF-94BE-1AACECC8304F.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 46

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back