• Don't own one but want one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Love them

• Other please post

• Total voters
I presume you didn't even read this
if you don't agree with other peoples answers not to attack their opinions.
My, don't be so sensitive, all of this is about the fish. Can't people disagree on opinions without it being considered attacks? Sheesh. It was not an attack on Auratus, it was a comment that I thought of brought on by his post. I think, and hope, that he did not take this as a personal attack. His opinion is perfectly valid, I'm just showing that the problem goes deeper then any individual fish.

And no, line breeding, and dogs, which is also line breeding, has nothing at all to do with Hybrids, just as stated already.

i am all for its i don't care about ppure strains and all that carp it soundss tupif and worng i let nature takes it couses in my tank and it preoduces little sursprises!!! i dont mind what the y do as long as it doesn't hurt the fish..... and hybird shouldnt be killed who ever said that was slightly evil!!! :unsure: i dont think there shiould be such huge discrimenation on hybirds and non pure strains!! also it normally maters where u go to buy ur fish some places are a bit dogy other aren't :D i mean someone sold me sialfin mollie as a normal mollie :unsure: bu nm....!!! :D i think its intersting to kinda see my fishuy world how it would be like the survival of the fitest and natural selection. so i said i loved them!!! and i don't mind if the mix with the other starians and i don't mind if human made made species mix together.. anyayws in u realeed them back in the wild eveutually nature would turn them back to how they were. :D :thumbs:
had my little say lol

Hi

Perhaps I should have phrased the question in less general terms and suggested a few specific types but the polls started so to late -_-

Cichlidaddict I wanted this poll and thread to be just something where anyone who wanted could post their own personal feelings on what is an emotive subject within our hobby, not a discussion.

I wanted it like this so that newbies who perhaps wanted something different like a parrot fish could have a look and see what other peoples feeling on the subject were and make a more informed choice.

Thanks for your time in voting and posting

David :fish:

i understand it if its for a good reason, ie if it feeds people who are starving otherwise. like the red tilapia which was a cross between 2 other species of tilapia to produce a fast growing food fish.

not so good to do it if its for cosmetic purposes.

aernympha said:
i am all for its i don't care about ppure strains and all that carp it soundss tupif and worng i let nature takes it couses in my tank and it preoduces little sursprises!!! i dont mind what the y do as long as it doesn't hurt the fish..... and hybird shouldnt be killed who ever said that was slightly evil!!! :unsure: i dont think there shiould be such huge discrimenation on hybirds and non pure strains!! also it normally maters where u go to buy ur fish some places are a bit dogy other aren't :D i mean someone sold me sialfin mollie as a normal mollie :unsure: bu nm....!!! :D i think its intersting to kinda see my fishuy world how it would be like the survival of the fitest and natural selection. so i said i loved them!!! and i don't mind if the mix with the other starians and i don't mind if human made made species mix together.. anyayws in u realeed them back in the wild eveutually nature would turn them back to how they were. :D :thumbs:
had my little say lol
Have you read This topic? It might help you a lot.

Nature Doesn't "Take its course" in a tank, because your tank is a sterile and self contained environment, their is no natural selection or survival of the fittest in an aquarium.
From what I could decipher from your message, did you say that when they are released into the wild, nature would "turn them back to normal"? that (no offense to you) is completely and utterly wrong. The fish will die slow deaths for they can't swim properly and their bold fake colorings would attract predators in an instant.

food for thought: on average every person has 6 potentially lethal genes in there genome. This is why inbreeding is bad. All dogs, (domestic) are pretty inbred as the individual types are still the same species, which is really strange when you think about the huge phenotypic variation. But this seems to work out ok for most dogs (Pugs for example are prone to respitory disease due to their face structure). So if the hybrid isnt going to harm the fish, it seems ok, but how do you know before you try and is trial and error ok? I don't know I haven't thought about it enough.
-Pat

frank ~ what i ment by eg. if u put a group of goldfish in a local lake and 4 were gold and two were black and gold mix the gold ones are mre likly to bet eaten than the black and gold ones so there fore nature would of selcted the black ones to breedd again ..... not the that nature someone who sits there making choices but u get what i mean ..... eveutually the goldfish would all be blck after a while.... soz my messages aren't clear ... usaully don't make sense :sad: :/ i mean in tank to a certain extent it not that controlled well mines isn't i don't cull fry or naything..... i probably should do...... i surpose i don't havea any predators apart from the parent fish them sevles lol and yes i aggreee some fish like say a guppy would do carp in the wild as it would stand out like a sore thumb :crazy: but i have a grey wag platys which look quite dull colours so they could probaly do well in the wild. soz but i am only bases my knowegde on little boilogy i know and stufff i leanrt form tv. i willl have lok at ur article/site

sorry for being so dumb but hybrid are ok!! :D

But if a black goldfish breeds with a gold one, they don't create a hybrid, a hybrid is like a parrot fish, where a red devil is bred with some other species of cichlid.
plus hybrids are usually born sterile, and will not be able to breed.
but I understand what you mean.

Most reactions

Back