Hybreeding For Dummies?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hawkdaddy

Reaction score
Hey guys. Not as if i have enough things to do with my tanks, i recently read somewhere that it wasn't too difficult to cross platies and swords. I have had great success breeding platies in the past, and easily have the tankspace to do it. As is said, i'm new to the whole hybrid breeding thing, so please bear with me. Thanks, Hawkdaddy :good:

Hey guys. Not as if i have enough things to do with my tanks, i recently read somewhere that it wasn't too difficult to cross platies and swords. I have had great success breeding platies in the past, and easily have the tankspace to do it. As is said, i'm new to the whole hybrid breeding thing, so please bear with me. Thanks, Hawkdaddy :good:

Commercially seen platys and swords are already a mixture of platy/sword

If you really must cross breed then simply keep only one opposing gender of each species

You need to start with a virgin female.

Take several fry and keep them on their own, any males that start to sex out remove ASAP.
Once females are fully mature you can then try.

Do not work with shop fish as they can store sperm for several months so any fry can not be proven to be a cross.

to create a Variegated Platy or Variatus Platy you cross a platy and a swordtail

to create a Variegated Platy or Variatus Platy you cross a platy and a swordtail

This is not correct "Variatus Platy" is infect a wild platy from Mexico

It's scientific name is Xiphophorus variatus. Their not a cross breed.
The difference between them and X. macaulats is very little, it's not colouration but fin ray and gill racker counts.

The difference between them and X. macaulats is very little, it's not colouration but fin ray and gill racker counts.

if you follow the history backward the variatus platy originally was created from a swordtail and a platy cross and you are correct in that they are found in the wild in Mexico

if you follow the history backward the variatus platy originally was created from a swordtail and a platy cross and you are correct in that they are found in the wild in Mexico

If you did some simple research your know!

Xiphophorus variatus is a unique species, you cant give a cross breed a scientific name! Look at the Parrot cichlid, dose this have a scientific name?
X. variatus was discovered in 1904 by Seth Eugene Meek. Just a little before any were cross breed for the aquatic industry.
X. variatus is endemic to the Atlantic slope of Mexico from southern Tamaulipas south to northern Veracruz.

Please note the endemic, if your not sure what it means read the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endemic

i have guppies and swordtails in my tank. was thinking of getting some platies. so went to my lfs to see what they had. they still had the same batch of swordtails in from when i got them. looked around saw the label platy and looked in the tank. they we're the same as the swordtails. asked bout them and the bloke said they breed well together so you really don't see many of either pure strains anymore. nice and honest.

All of my fry are platy/sword hybrids. Here is what you must do to achieve this.

Buy/aquire young fry females that are two young to breed and put them in a tank with a sword or platy (depending on the females. If you have female swords, put them in with a male platy or vice versa)One the females reach maturity required to breed, you will soon have hybrid fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back