Hurt Neon Tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jimbob1223

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
One of my Neons in my community tank isn't doing too good. Its tail has been completely bitten off by my Paradise fish. Usually, the Paradise fish is pretty calm but if it gets startled, it sometimes has a bit of a chomp. I'm guessing that's what happened because the Neon's tail was only damaged recently. The Neon is having a bit of trouble swimming and I'm not sure what to do. The fish is still managing to get food so should I just let it be? I have had experience with euthanizing fish a couple of times before, would this be a better thing to do? Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me and my Neon Tetra out. :)

Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

------------------------
Paradise fish are not community fish, especially with small fish like neon tetras. However, too little too late.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. This will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and should help the neon heal better.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Feed the fish a few more times each day for the next couple of weeks so the fish can build up some reserves and help its tail recover.

Most reactions

Back