The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EX1EY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
tank005.jpg

tank006.jpg

Anybody any ideas on what else I can do with this tank? Started off with live plants but decided its too much effort. So Ive got a couple of fake ones, a few ornaments for the fish to hide in an around aswell as disguise the filter, and also some live floating plants.

Tanks been up and running for about two months with fish. Doing good, had two deaths. Male dwarf gourami after about two weeks for no apparent reason, the females still alive and well. Shes like the boss of my tank. One of my male guppies died this weekend after I did a 100% water change. i think I stressed him out too much :(

Anyway, I've got 2 male guppies, 8 cardinal tetras, 1 female dwarf gourami, 2 black angel fish, 2 male swordtails & 3 Khuli loach. 120 Litre tank. Any ideas on further stocking and decor would be great :)

Start off with a nice big piece of driftwood or bogwood as a centerpiece and maybe add a couple more smaller pieces. You should up almost all your fish to at least 6 of the same species. I'd trade in the male guppies for something else, though, because once the angels get bigger they'll be nipping the fins of the guppies.

Dwarf gouramis are delicate creatures at best, and never do well in an unestablished tank. Was there a reason you did a 100% water change?

As it is you're mixing species that don't normally do well together. I think you should do a lot of research before buying any other fish.

not sure on the stocking but IMO sand would look smashing in there :) and for some reason I'm not a fan of the 3D background i think you have :) but thats me other than that looks great IMO

loving your angels :)

if you get sand maybe cory's or some bottom feeder fish that will fit into the tank? i just got some cory's and they are so cool :D

not sure on the stocking but IMO sand would look smashing in there :) and for some reason I'm not a fan of the 3D background i think you have :) but thats me other than that looks great IMO

loving your angels :)

if you get sand maybe cory's or some bottom feeder fish that will fit into the tank? i just got some cory's and they are so cool :D

I HATE the 3D background. Sadly I desperately wanted a tropical tank but I wasnt in a position to afford one at the time so i picked up this on ebay in November for £26. Bargain at the end of the day. Ive since gone on to spend £150+ on decorations and plants. And plenty of money on fish! But its all good, i love it. The ultimate goal is migrating to a new 180L tank when the funds allow.

This Old Spouse - thanks for your advice. I tend to disagree about the number of fish per species though, I think it really depends on the fish. Ive settled on a LFS that I now go to, hes local, well established and I ask him before purchasing anything.

I did a 100% water change because I needed to rescape. I had live plants that were dieing etc. I was due a water change of about 30% anyway so I took the opportunity to do the whole lot.

Zikofski - thanks for your advice. I tend to disagree about the number of fish per species though, I think it really depends on the fish. Ive settled on a LFS that I now go to, hes local, well established and I ask him before purchasing anything.

your welcome but i mentions i don't know about stocking as i have no idea about your fish other than angels :) so no comment on those :) they do look lovely tho and yes if you like them keep them :)

Just to mention that many plants "melt" after you first plant them, but then settle in and send out new growth after a time.

Zikofski - thanks for your advice. I tend to disagree about the number of fish per species though, I think it really depends on the fish. Ive settled on a LFS that I now go to, hes local, well established and I ask him before purchasing anything.

your welcome but i mentions i don't know about stocking as i have no idea about your fish other than angels :) so no comment on those :) they do look lovely tho and yes if you like them keep them :)

I know you didn't, i got the posts mixed up. I re-edited to say 'old Spouse'.

Thanks to both for your advice though.

Old Spouse I've just ditched the live plats idea, fake ones just seem so much lesss hassle and I dont have a lot of time so its perfect for me.

lol no worries :) and your welcome I'm just about ti dive into live plants lol god help me haha

Live plants for me are almost as interesting to watch as my fish. My fish, however, are generally more healthy than my plants are!
wacko.gif

Live plants for me are almost as interesting to watch as my fish. My fish, however, are generally more healthy than my plants are!
wacko.gif

Dont get me wrong live plats are great. And they do look better. Right now I just dont have the time to maintain them! Also the guy in the LFS explained most plants need double tubing (lights) which my tankn wont accomodate.

I think now ive got my tank, In due time I will get myself a nice brand new 180L+ tank and take my time scaping it. Then I will look into live plants!

There are a number of pretty plants that don't need double tubing. That's just another ploy by LFS staff to get you to spend more money at the shop! Gotta watch those guys every minute.

If you want to try live plants sometime, just post a topic and we can give you a list of easy to care for plants that don't need a lot of light or special treatment.

yes defo +1 on that this forum i tell you saved me so much money, time and fish from all the people helping me out :) got to put my hat up to everyone on this forum :D

I wish I had your Dwarf female to go with my Powder Blue male. :shifty:

I wouldn't trust those Angels around your Cardinals or Guppies..........eventually they will be eaten.

Back to the thread topic, another poster ThisOldSpouse suggested a big piece of driftwood as a centerpiece, I agree 100%. I don't like fake decorations or plants myself.

You could add real Anubias plants since they don't require too much light and you don't plant them in the substrate but tie them to the driftwood with thread. The roots eventually grow arounmd the wood, it looks awesome & it's very low maintenance. You wouldn't have to upgrade your lighting.

Anubias and Java Fern Require no maintanence to grow. Just tie them on something that's it. Looks better than tacky plastic plants and there isn't much of a risk of fish shredding their fins on them.

Also gonna back up the bog wood.

And gonna add a touch of "You could get rid of that no fishing octopus" :blink:

Oh, and just to show how much you don't need to care about anubias and java fern, I've got a 24 inch deep tank with crappy LED lighting, it gives off 1/4th the light of a standard bulb.

The java ferns are having java fern babies, and the anubias are growing like weeds. I don't add fertilizer of CO2 or anything like that. Just do the normal thing. Turn lights on, feed fish, watch fish. Go do something else for a while. Rinse repeat.

Live plants are the way to go, your tank would look great & to be honest there not all that time consuming or hard to look after especially if you go for the easier to maintain one's, your fish will be happier, your tank will look better & more "natural" ...it's a win win situation.

I think your tank would benefit from a different background - your current one doesn't really go... don't see the beauty in 3d backgrounds tbh.

I think your tank would look 10x better with sand as substrate - but may be better considering that when you upgrade tanks rather that having to mess around with changing substrate.

Good luck... :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back