How's This?

Danny-uk-carp.com

Reaction score
I intend on having Cichlids and Gourami's in my tank and was wondering if the Fish I have chossen will be ok.

Cichlids

Blue Jewel
Blue Ram
Kribensis

Gourami

Orange Thick
Honey

I also will have 1 or 2 Pleco's

The Tank is 30 x 15 x 15 and will have living plants, 3 or 4 rocks 2 pieces of bogwood.

Thanks for any help.

it depends on what pleco's you get... If you go for the ancistrus they are relitively small but you should bear in mind that they can get agresive with their own kind if not enough caves are given or if the tank is too small.

jewel - i have no idea sorry

Kribensis - i have kept loads of them and had hardly any problems

rams - I dont know why but mine always used to die and acording to januarys PFK mag there is quite a big problem with this

Gourami - i used to have a couple of 3 spots and one was an absolute terror but there are better people to advise on them.

In that size tank u would probably be better with just one pleco unless you want to keep upgrading the tank size.

" i have kept jewels before, a few years ago. If they are the same species, then no they are not compatible at all with your tiger barbs. I had a pair and the male killed everything in my tank, including the female. very mean, deffinately not a community fish " said by the time6

All the articles i have read on Jewels said that there are Territorial and at times vicious but mainly a peicfull fish as long as good filtration and gravel to dig in are at hand.

I don't have Tiger Barbs!

I like the jewels but if what you say is true to most people then i will not bother with then.

Blue Jewel Cichlid..... I love thiese Fish
blue-jewel-cichlid.jpg
:wub:

Here are a couple of cichlids that i have kept well in comunity setups

apistogramma cactuides - cocatoo cichlid

keyhole cichlid

it is very dependant on what your water is going to be at in regards to ph and hardness.

What about Silver dollars??? Although they can get huge as well

ok im looking in a couple of books for you and:

dwarf honey goromai's should be put in a established tank aprox 6mths grow to aprox 2inches with a ph of 6.0-7.5

dwarf cichlids at aprox ph of 6.5

but i could be wrong..

The apistogramma's are worth looking into as they are really nice little fish.

The temperature seems ok acording to the books i have in front of me

with the jewel im only going off of that statement as i have not got a clue to be honest nice looking fisjh though

what i found for the Jewel is

Origin: Zaire, Africa.

Temperament: Territorial and at times vicious.

Care: Feed with flakes. Small gravel is recommended as the Jewel Cichlid likes to dig. Good filtration is needed, otherwise not hard to keep.

Breeding: Use a pH of 7.0 and a higher temperature of 27°C. The eggs are laid on a carefully cleaned rock and then moved to pits dug behind the rocks.

Sex: Difficult to determine.

Comments: Quite peaceful for an african cichlid.

Temperature Range: 21-27°C.

pH: 7-7.6

Potential Size: 11cm

Hi, I have been lurking for about a month here and thought I might send my first message to this thread. First off, I don't know what 30x15x15 is. CM, Inches, MM? Here we use inches. Anyway I see a few problems here. Jewels are very nasty cichlids and will only get worse if they breed. Also be careful, THEY ARE JUMPERS! The least little hole and they are gone. Even though the cichlids need the same soft water, the Blue Rams will never survive with the other two. Kribensis are next to go. Also Honey Gourami are too delicate for that tank. If the Orange Thick is the 'Thick Lip' Gourami, they could be OK. Sorry but you had better do a lot more investigating as to the temperment of the fish you wish to put together. BTW, I have had all these fish at one time or another and am talking from experience.
Z-Man

just a few minor adjustments danny :thumbs: no big deal(btw i agree w/z-man).keep us posted. :fun: :fun:

About the Blue Rams I keep one of mine in an 18 inch tank with some platies and danios and its fins ive had it for about 3-4 months.

hey,

instead of the jewels, what about thomas' dwarf cichlid(anomalochromis thomasi) they grow to 3 - 3 12 " and are very peaceful.......

often called dwarf jewel by the way..... :p

Most reactions

Back