How?!?!

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So, let's play a little game. I have a 55g tank that has no decorations, and only topwater plants (for algae). Snails entered the tank through the plants. most likely only a few. Over a month later, take some guesses for how many snail egg cases I found on the side of my tank, which have the dimensions of 18"x13". Guess before you read the next part. You better have taken your guess! Well, I have 27 snail egg cases on the 18"x13" piece of glass. 22!?!?!? And there are hundreds of egg cases in the tank itself. I am just amazed at how fast these snails will reproduce.

Anyways, how do I get these snails outta my tank? The tank is stocked with a 10-inch Delhezi Bichir, so if there are fish that eat them, that would be great. I 100% don't want chemicals. So how the hell do I get the snail population under control?

Clown Loaches eat snail eggs, and then you end up eventually with no snails.
Could I have a temporary group of Clown Loaches? I have them for a few months, and I sell them. I have big plans for this tank, and I don't want it to go to waste. How would they interact with the Bichir?

Could I have a temporary group of Clown Loaches? I have them for a few months, and I sell them. I have big plans for this tank, and I don't want it to go to waste. How would they interact with the Bichir?
I think they will be fine clown loaches can be pushy in their own right. Yep, that's what I would do, fatten them up then sell them on. Just get like 4 or so, don't go overboard.

pick the snails out manually.

put a slice of cucumber or fish wafer in the tank. leave it until the snails swarm over it and scoop them out.

You suggest this over Clown Loaches?
With the loaches, you'll have to pass them on and that's harder than it sounds. Besides, it's never a good idea to buy an animal to do a job for you.
With a plastic bottle snail trap it'll cost you nothing and you can use it again and again...until you stop the source, which is usually too much organic waste in the tank.

With the loaches, you'll have to pass them on and that's harder than it sounds. Besides, it's never a good idea to buy an animal to do a job for you.
With a plastic bottle snail trap it'll cost you nothing and you can use it again and again...until you stop the source, which is usually too much organic waste in the tank.
The source is too many plant roots in the tank from the floating Mosquito Fern, which is what the snails eat. I tried to remove the roots, but they just keep going.
thats not very nice, the cucumber thing sounds great to me.

Thats good info i will probably need one day.
In a 55g tank, you can do a lot with this. Loaches are awesome. I have big big plans for this tank and don't want to ruin it because of some snails. I'm going to try Assassin Snails, and if that doesn't work, the cucumber thing

So, let's play a little game. I have a 55g tank that has no decorations, and only topwater plants (for algae). Snails entered the tank through the plants. most likely only a few. Over a month later, take some guesses for how many snail egg cases I found on the side of my tank, which have the dimensions of 18"x13". Guess before you read the next part. You better have taken your guess! Well, I have 27 snail egg cases on the 18"x13" piece of glass. 22!?!?!? And there are hundreds of egg cases in the tank itself. I am just amazed at how fast these snails will reproduce.

Anyways, how do I get these snails outta my tank? The tank is stocked with a 10-inch Delhezi Bichir, so if there are fish that eat them, that would be great. I 100% don't want chemicals. So how the hell do I get the snail population under control?
The owner at the fish store was telling me just yesterday assassin snails eat other snails.

Most reactions

Back