How Will I Manage To Feed Fry?

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
657
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Alright, so my little 1" swordtail girl gave birth to many little ones.
I'm giving an educated guess, 20 - 10, more likely around 15 fry? How will I get to feed them? Pablo, the little cray (will be rehomed soon, after done cycling 55gal) is not a threat. He barely notices the fry, and usually just stays in his coconut hut.

But my worry is, so far two days I've had no fry being eaten by the parents, but how will I feed my fry if theres larger fish?

Flakes won't do good. They never really get to the bottom before the parents get the flakes.
 
Can you get a little bit of flakes, and rub them together into a powder, and then see if they will eat off of that?

-FHM
 
ugh, you sure it's not gonna leave a mess? I can't clean my gravel. (They're spreaded out everywhere. ): )
 
Its worth a shot!

And I bet they will eat it off your substrate.

-FHM
 
Alright, i'll try it :)

Would liquifry or, what brand it was work? The liquidy food for fry, would it work with two parents? How does it even act as food.
 
Not sure about that?

Hopefully someone else can help you out?

Anyone? :unsure:

-FHM
 
i bought some discus food once by mistake (kind of red/pink little balls, which were too big for my small fish to eat) and rather than throw it away i actually put it in a food mixer blender thing. it turned it into a red powder, some of the bits being about as big as a grain of salt, and some smaller (kind of fine like flour)

i put some in my tank and my fish (guppies, mollies, tetras) all love the stuff. in fact my tetras dont even eat the regular flakes much but love the 'red powder'. also, i have some baby fish, and they eat the small particles of the red powder which float around the tank

i really recommend u give it a go. it's good the way some of it floats and some sinks, and some floats around the middle of tank. some bits are big, some small, and some 'tiny'. it's good for everyone (er, every'fish). perhaps not something u would use every day (although i do, with no adverse effects after 2 months) but every few days if you are worried. personally i add a dash of it every time i feed the fish.
 
I put flake, pellets, wafers, whatever in a coffee grinder. It turns it to the consistency of soot. I have 2 week old angel fry hitting on this, livebearers from day one. Adults tend to ignore something like that, much too small to be worth their time.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top