How To Syphon Water With Fry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liquid skills

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok so u guys must all know now i have betta fry but my question is above how can i syphon water with out sucking up the fry??

Ok so u guys must all know now i have betta fry but my question is above how can i syphon water with out sucking up the fry??

Take a plastic bottle..... cut off the bottom and cover the opening with a silk stocking........ drill a hole in the bottle cap and tight fit a thin hose/tubing through this hole...... Then weigh down the bottle below the surface and syphon the water out...

thank-you ludwig ill go try that i have pipes from an ol air pump will that work for the top of the bottle??

thank-you ludwig ill go try that i have pipes from an ol air pump will that work for the top of the bottle??

Yep..... it will be a slow flow velocity, but that is what you want...... (not to suck the fry against the stocking)... the enlarged opening will slow the velocity even further.... Maybe give me 5 minutes & I'll show you my arrangement.....

I use a length of airline tubing to do the bottom of the tank, and carefully go around the fry, if they are free swimming they do swim out the way. Then just pipette them back into the tank if I accidently suck any up. Then I just use a white jug to take out the rest of the water to where i want.(white is easy as you can spot the fry a mile off.) :good:

Hope that helps!

I use a length of airline tubing to do the bottom of the tank, and carefully go around the fry, if they are free swimming they do swim out the way. Then just pipette them back into the tank if I accidently suck any up. Then I just use a white jug to take out the rest of the water to where i want.(white is easy as you can spot the fry a mile off.) :good:

Hope that helps!

Also viable Westwood...... here is what I do....

Cut-off bottom of bottle closed with silk stocking (secured by elastic bands)
100_3092.jpg

I have a heavy rock inside of the bottle to ensure the bottle will remain submerged
100_3093.jpg

And then some thinnish tubing tight fitting through the bottle cap. Works perfectly!... for Betta fry though... I'd recommend thinner tubing)
100_3094.jpg

Take a plastic bottle..... cut off the bottom and cover the opening with a silk stocking........ drill a hole in the bottle cap and tight fit a thin hose/tubing through this hole...... Then weigh down the bottle below the surface and syphon the water out...

smarrttttt i just took some tubing, put a ridgid tubing and sipphoned, i don't suck up the fry usually, they stay away from it. but thts a goo dide, imma try tht ^.^

hi thanks ludwig i done a small water change with just the air tubeing i dont have any stocking so ill ask my sister and i have a bottle so will assemble it tomorrow and use that but i just used some iping and because they are still nest bound altho i feel tomorrow they wont be lol as giving dad a hard time lol every time he turns his back woosh one falls and he turns to get it and they swimm back up lol .....well some of them lol

i feel so bad for him as he has a dead one and he is constantly trying to it in the nest but it keeps falling :(
but other then that hes a very good dad :) and thank-you all for the help

hi thanks ludwig i done a small water change with just the air tubeing i dont have any stocking so ill ask my sister and i have a bottle so will assemble it tomorrow and use that but i just used some iping and because they are still nest bound altho i feel tomorrow they wont be lol as giving dad a hard time lol every time he turns his back woosh one falls and he turns to get it and they swimm back up lol .....well some of them lol

i feel so bad for him as he has a dead one and he is constantly trying to it in the nest but it keeps falling :(
but other then that hes a very good dad :) and thank-you all for the help

wait how do u tell if the fry's dead?

Well he was smaller then the rest had no eyes and his tail looked like it has been munched on :( i mean i could be wrong hopefully :)

Well he was smaller then the rest had no eyes and his tail looked like it has been munched on :( i mean i could be wrong hopefully :)

I had one just like tht, but it turens out he was like a clear type betta, i forget becuz this was a loongg time ago, he turned out to be a good one, you never kno,

and beside tht, how do we get the tubing to stay inside the bottle?

and beside tht, how do we get the tubing to stay inside the bottle?

Uhm..... Simply do not pull it out...... It should be tight fitting......i.e...... the diameter of the hole in the bottle cap should be slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the tubing so you have to force the tubing through the hole...... get it now??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back