How To Start ...

CroNiC

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I haven't been on these forums for a while. Anyway, I am planning on getting a new tank, and exploring into the predatory fish area.
I should be getting a new tank around oct. 4th (maybe the weekend after), but before I plan on doing that ... I'm going to need some guidance/advise from you guys.

I've been looking into these fish for a very long time, and the only reason that prevented me was that I felt I wasn't ready. Anyway, 2 years have passed .. and i think I'm up fir the challenge.
What I need help in is ... well how do I start. What is the 'average' tank size when it comes to these fish. By these fish, I'm talking big fish, ranging from dats, bichirs, aro's (possible), rays etc. I have a ton of room in my basement so size shouldnt be too much of a problem. The one factor I'm concerned about is the width (2ft and a few inches is the max, b/c larger than that won't fit through the basement stairs.)

Here's my gameplan:
1. Decide on size of tank
2. Find place to buy tank
3. List of fish
4. Filter/sand
5. Food?
6. Other Stuff

Any adivse would help ... espcially stuff like recalling how you first started your 'BIG' tank.

Well, the first thing I am going to say is that silver and black aros are definitely out of the question on that tank. The only other aro you could have is the jardini or leichardi, but they can both be aggressive. I don't know the final size of Asian's so I can't comment on those. If you are located in the US, it wouldn't matter anyway, since they are illegal here.

The next thing is: it's too narrow for rays. They need at least 3 ft width. :(

One thing you can consider is building the tank within the room, so you can have the larger width.

Dats and bichirs would look nice together. Any bichir species can fit in a "monster" tank. I would go with the lower jaw species, as they can be most impressive, especially with datniod species. Lower jaws consist of: P. endli endli, lap, congnicus. Other large species that are upper jawed and be ok with these larger fish are: ornates and teugelsi.

Wet drys and large canisters are the way to go with these tanks. :good:

Decor is up to you. You can use gravel, sand, or barebottom. All is your choice. I like the look of sand the best, but it's honestly up to you.

Food is very important to consider, since you don't want to go broke feeding these large fish. The best place to buy foods are... in the grocery store. You can get frozen shrimp and fish to feed your "monsters" happily.

Good luck! I love these fish and I hope that this goes through with you. These are just the beginning guidelines for now. Where are you located? Buying and tank and recommending filtration will be easier if we knew where you are. :)

Ok ... so aro's and rays are out of the question.

I was thinking about it, and you're right bichirs and dats would in fact make a stunning display. Anyway, I live in NJ, USA ... so im guessing the tank will be shipped (no sure I can find such large tanks around here.)

I prefer sand as well when it comes to decor. One thing I'm still worried about is the food. Should I grow the food (i've had shrimp hatcheries before) or would it be cheaper to buy it? Also, what filtration would you guys recommend (would help narrow down the list later on)

If I do decide on building a tank, how would I go about doing so?

Thanks

Ok ... so aro's and rays are out of the question.

I was thinking about it, and you're right bichirs and dats would in fact make a stunning display. Anyway, I live in NJ, USA ... so im guessing the tank will be shipped (no sure I can find such large tanks around here.)

I prefer sand as well when it comes to decor. One thing I'm still worried about is the food. Should I grow the food (i've had shrimp hatcheries before) or would it be cheaper to buy it? Also, what filtration would you guys recommend (would help narrow down the list later on)

If I do decide on building a tank, how would I go about doing so?

Thanks
If you are looking for quality wild caught bichirs, the best person to check out, imo, is Toyin at rehobothaquatics.com. I've bought all of my bichirs from there, except for my two sennys and ornate, and all have been wonderful. Also a great place to look if you are looking for the different P. endlicheri endlicheri localities.

Dats are a bit different. I only have one LFS that supplies quality, stable datnoids (ITs), and that's where I've bought my two I own now. You could buy online, but there is no way to know what the datnoid is going to look like (if you are going for specific bars, etc, on them) or how stable it's going to be. Good luck with that. I am very picky about mine and would only buy them if I know they are stable from the beginning.

There are some stores that carry tanks up to 220 gallons (6x2x3 I think) and there are some specialty fish stores that can make custom aquariums. I would ask around in your lfs's first and see what they know.

Sand can be bought cheaply at Lowes (I use builder's sand or pool sand) and ordered (3M colorquartz). Either is up to you.

With the food, I would stick to getting frozen food and maybe cultivating guppies or other livebearers. I doubt shrimp could keep up with the monster appetites of dats and bichirs (unless you have a very nice shrimp tank!).

Concerning filtration, you could go with the larger Eheim filters, like the pro III, or a wet/dry system. Wet/drys can be loud, but they are very easy to use and customize. I have one on my 125 gallon and it works great and I'm about to hook up an Eheim filter to the sump. :p

Lol sw ... uhh yea thats also out of the question.

Invader that was a very very helpful post. When you say that wet/dry filters are loud ... how loud? And also, are Eheim's user-friendly or complicated?

I'm going to go do a little research on these filters .. so i'll be back with questions soon :p

Lol sw ... uhh yea thats also out of the question.

Invader that was a very very helpful post. When you say that wet/dry filters are loud ... how loud? And also, are Eheim's user-friendly or complicated?

I'm going to go do a little research on these filters .. so i'll be back with questions soon :p
Not that loud, honestly. It varies, depending on how clean it is, if you've just done a water change, etc. Mostly, it sounds like running water. At first, I thought I wouldn't get used to it (it's in my room), but now, when I turn it off to do water changes, it sounds eerily quiet. :lol:

As far as I know, Eheim is pretty easy. Just has different layers of media in it. I actually haven't owned one, but I know someone who only used Eheim and they love 'em.

SW rays would be nice... :hey:

I think Eheims are pretty user friendly. I have one and I love it. Silent, good biological filtration, and keeps up a good flow even when the media is very dirty. They are also very reliable.

Does anyone know a good reliable website that sells large tanks?

A 6 x 2 x 1.5 is probably what I am looking for.

Also, how hard is it to build your own tank ... for someone who has very little experience in DIY experiments.

Most reactions

Back