How To Start A Planted Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blitz

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey! Haven't been on in a  while... 
Anyways, so I'm wanting to start a planted tank. A small one with pygmy chain swords. 
I've never had a planted tank before... (and this is just going to be just plants. no fish)

How do I get it started? THings I need? 
thanks in advance :) 

Do you want to do high or low tech?

What sort of size tank do you want to do this on?

So you're basically after an underwater plant pot. To be honest I'd go with soil, something like John Innes 3, a tank, water and plants. Oh and a light, but nothing too bright if you don't want algae without CO2 addition.

If you want to add CO2 and water column fertilisers then you can go for brighter lights.

Substrate choices are many, but if you're going livestock free then I can't see any reason not to go with cheap, plain compost.

Well, I want to have it in a small tank. 10 gallon would be the largest I'd go. I'm thinking a 5 gallon though. :/ 
Do I need to cycle the tank before adding my plant life? Sorry, but I am SO new to plants D: 

Plants don't care if there's ammonia the same way as fish do, to them it's a nitrogen source and therefore food.

Heavy stem planting is known as a silent cycle as they take up all of the ammonia apart from a trace amount which then feeds the filter bacteria.

Short answer, no, you don't need to filter a plant only tank, although you do need circulation.

Most reactions

trending

Back